As of noon Thursday, March 12, test results show that one Mainer has tested presumptive positive for the coronavirus. Click here for the latest coronavirus news, which the BDN has made free for the public. You can support this mission by purchasing a digital subscription.
After state officials disclosed Thursday the first presumptive positive test for the coronavirus in Maine, Bangor area schools said Thursday they are canceling big gatherings and limiting students’ travel.
The Bangor School Department, Regional School Unit 22 based in Hampden and John Bapst Memorial High School are continuing with classes but are imposing other restrictions on students and staff.
“Beginning next week, we are curtailing the number of large-group events held on campus, including college and financial aid information nights and the upcoming talent show,” Mel McKay, head of school at John Bapst, wrote in an email to parents. “Still unknown as of this writing are the potential effects on spring high school sports in Maine, and we are in regular contact with the Maine Principals’ Association about this.”
John Bapst also is limiting travel within the United States for teachers and students. The school has canceled spring break trips as well as travel that had been planned for conventions and competition in and outside of Maine.
Hampden Assistant Superintendent Regan Nickels also sent a similar email announcing a ban on large group gatherings.
“Gatherings of more than 100 people that bring significant numbers of outside people into our district will be canceled or postponed (i.e. concerts, Maine Day, clinics, ceremonies, etc),” Nickels said in her email.
Bangor schools Superintendent Betsy Webb also sent out an email announcing a ban until April 17 on staff travel and gatherings of large groups.
Watch: Symptoms of the coronavirus disease