Katahdin's Danielle Libby puts up a one-handed shot over Washburn defender Emerson Turner during Saturday night's Class D North quarterfinal at the Cross Insurance Center. Credit: Joseph Cyr | Houlton Pioneer Times

Katahdin of Stacyville opened its tournament on Saturday night with a 38-12 victory over Washburn in a Class D North quarterfinal at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor.

The No. 3 Cougars (14-5) earned a semifinal matchup against the winner of the game between No. 2 Deer Isle-Stonington (16-2) and No. 7 Schenck of East Millinocket (8-10). That semifinal is scheduled for 2 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 20.

Saturday’s win was the third of the season for Katahdin against Washburn. The sixth-seeded Beavers complete the season at 9-10.

Credit: Joseph Cyr | Houlton Pioneer Times

Katahdin started a bit slowly on the offensive side, but its defense was stellar throughout. The Cougars held Washburn without a field goal for 24 minutes, 49 seconds and forced several of the Beavers’ 36 turnovers.

The result was a convincing win that earned the Cougars a return trip to the Cross Insurance Center.

Katahdin was able to find some holes in Washburn’s 1-2-2 zone and the Cougars’ aggressiveness going to offensive glass also enabled them to get numerous second shots and to draw fouls.

Credit: Joseph Cyr | Houlton Pioneer Times

Danielle Libby paced the winners with a game-high 12 points and nine rebounds, while Maizy Cullen connected for 10 points. Lily Cullen snared eight rebounds. Makayla Hartsgrove and Emily Beyer chipped in with six and five points, respectively.

Washburn struggled mightily on the offensive end and because of its turnover woes never really found any cohesiveness against Katahdin’s 1-3-1 half-court zone and, later, its trapping in the frontcourt.

Emma Johnston and Kyli Farley finished with four points each to pace the Beavers.

Credit: Joseph Cyr | Houlton Pioneer Times

The contest was tied 1-1 after the first quarter, but the Cougars finally began to find the basket on occasion. They took the lead for good on two Libby free throws 20 seconds into the second quarter, then scored the next 10 points, including Libby’s 3-pointer at the 2:05 mark that sent the game into the break at 13-1.

Libby then provided a foul shot, a rebound basket and a steal and layup during the first 3 1/2 minutes of the third quarter and Katahdin pulled away to a 26-3 advantage through three periods.

Johnston’s putback at the 7:11 mark of the fourth quarter was Washburn’s first field goal.

Credit: Joseph Cyr | Houlton Pioneer Times