July 20, 2019
Penobscot Latest News | Hospital Clash | Bangor Metro | Maine's Loons | Today's Paper

‘I shot her,’ Clifton man accused of murdering girlfriend allegedly uttered

Linda Coan O'Kresik | BDN
Linda Coan O'Kresik | BDN
Dwight Jay Osgood, 37, made his first appearance in court in January 2019 on a murder charge in connection with the shooting death of his girlfriend, Kary Dill in Clifton.

The Clifton man accused of murdering his girlfriend early this year was allegedly drunk and high before he shot her in the back with a 12-gauge shotgun. But he initially suggested to police that she may have died from striking her head against a cast iron stove, according to a court affidavit unsealed this week.

Only after some investigation and multiple interviews did Dwight Jay Osgood, 37, allegedly tell police that he may have murdered 35-year-old Kary Dill, Det. Greg Mitchell of the Maine State Police wrote in the affidavit.

Last week, Osgood was indicted on a charge of intentional or knowing murder in connection with the Jan. 14 death of Dill at their home on Route 9, which is next to the Clifton General Store where she worked.

Osgood called police early on the morning of Jan. 14 to report Dill’s death and told investigators that he had woken to find her dead body lying on their kitchen floor. He was arrested the next day.

Before calling police that morning, Osgood called his father to say that Dill had died and ask whether “he should blow his [own] brains out,” according to Mitchell. But Osgood’s father told him to call 911.

[Clifton man accused of shooting girlfriend indicted for murder]

At first, Osgood allegedly told investigators that he had taken eight Valium pills to help him sleep the previous night and that when he passed out, Dill was still awake and drinking rum, according to Mitchell. He also said that Dill took one Valium pill before he fell asleep. Earlier in the night, he said that they had watched the New England Patriots game together.

Then, when Osgood woke around 4 a.m. in his bedroom, he said that he found Dill’s dead body lying face-up on their kitchen floor, with blood pooled behind her head and back. Because their supply of firewood seemed lower, he told police that she may have been trying to load the wood stove and slipped, striking her head on the stove.

But police who went to the home noticed what appeared to be a large gunshot wound around Dill’s left shoulder, as well as two shotguns and an open box of shotgun ammunition lying nearby, according to Mitchell.

They noticed that she was topless and that shirts lying near her body were soaked in blood and had holes in them. They also reportedly found that the kitchen table had been knocked over and had a broken leg.

A Maine State Police sergeant who interviewed Osgood also said that he had a fresh wound on his upper lip, but that he didn’t mention it in their interview.

After an autopsy, the Maine Office of the Chief Medical Examiner found that the cause of Dill’s death was homicide and that the fatal wound on her back “appeared to have been caused by a birdshot shotgun round,” Mitchell wrote.

When police informed Osgood that Dill had died of a 12-gauge shotgun wound to the back of her shoulder, he allegedly told them, “It had to be me, I don’t know,” according to Mitchell. Then, a detective overheard Osgood allegedly say to himself, “I shot her.”

Osgood’s attorneys didn’t immediately respond to a phone call seeking comment Thursday morning.

A spokesman for the Maine Office of the Attorney General, which is prosecuting the case, said he could not comment on Osgood’s pending case.

Investigators also spoke with a woman who had visited Dill at her home the night before her dead body was found. She told them Osgood had been talking on the phone and seemed drunk after drinking many cans of Bud Light.

Before the friend left around 9:30 p.m. that night, she also saw Osgood allegedly “crush and snort some sort of pill,” Mitchell wrote.

Osgood, whose case has been classified as a domestic violence homicide, is next due in court on March 28 at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

A trial date is not expected to be set for several months. If convicted, Osgood faces 25 years to life in prison on the murder charge.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like