Many people who witnessed undefeated Josh Harvey’s recent majority draw against Joe Giannetti in the main event of Cage Titans 41 at the Plymouth (Massachusetts) Memorial Hall thought Harvey won — including his opponent.
“Personally I don’t believe it was a draw, I think my opponent should have won the bout,” Giannetti wrote on social media soon after the three-round lightweight (155-pound) bout. “[Harvey] fought exactly how we had planned and prepared for. Props to him. I knew what I had to do to win, he was just very good at implementing his gameplan. I thought I was gonna’ finish the fight in the third round, but man he’s tough!”
The 28-year-old Harvey, who trains at Young’s MMA in Bangor, won the fight by a 29-28 count according to one of the three cageside judges, but the other two judges scored the fight a draw, one 28-28 and the other 29-29.
“I lost the third round for sure,” Harvey said of the match held earlier this month. “I was in control of it for all but one minute, but for that one minute he was on my back.
“I won the other two rounds handily, but somehow one judge scored it even in the first round and there was no way, and then the other judge gave [Giannetti] a 10-8 round in the third, which also there was no way.”
Harvey, now 5-0-1 in the professional ranks, hoped to use a victory over Giannetti (6-1-1) as a stepping stone to bigger things in MMA given that Giannetti, a Whitman, Massachusetts, product, reached the lightweight championship match of the UFC’s The Ultimate Fighter 27 series in July and was dropped from the world’s top promotion only after losing that bout by split decision to Mike Trizano.
Harvey has contacted the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission asking to have the decision in the Giannetti fight overturned. He expects it will be a couple of months before he learns if the MSAC will take any action.
“I can’t believe they won’t because it’s not just a case of, ‘Oh you lost the fight, you lost the fight.’ No, this is about a career,” he said.
Harvey plans to resume fighting after the holidays, likely in his preferred featherweight (145-pound) division.
“It’s a little heartbreaking,” Harvey said. “I don’t think it was a draw. I thought I won an easy decision. I don’t even think it was a hard decision. I guess I should be happy they didn’t say I lost.”
Sanders title defense highlights final ’18 NEF show
One existing title and one newly created championship will headline New England Fights’ final show of 2018 on Saturday night at the Aura nightclub in Portland.
NEF pro lightweight champion Ryan Sanders (17-9) of Young’s MMA in Bangor will defend his belt against Jacob Bohn (7-5), while Ras Hylton (3-1) will meet Yorgan De Castro (2-0) in NEF’s inaugural cruiserweight (225-pound) championship fight.
Sanders, 31, won seven of his past eight bouts and 10 of his past 12. That run of success has coincided largely with his decision to focus on the lightweight division where he is 7-1 since mid-2015.
Sanders has had to take some fights at welterweight (170 pounds) in order to remain busy but has been NEF’s lightweight champion since his second-round stoppage of Jon Lemke in April 2017.
Bohn, a 29-year-old native of Watertown, New York, is riding his own two-fight winning streak.
South Portland’s Hylton, known to fans as “The Jamaican Shamrock,” is coming off a knockout win over Eric Bedard in August and is 3-0 in the NEF cage as a professional.
De Castro, who fights out of Fall River, Massachusetts, has finished both of his opponents by technical knockout since turning pro last November.
The 14-bout NEF 36 card includes 10 amateur bouts, three of them women’s contests featuring B.J. Garceau, Catie Denning and Glory Watson, all undefeated fighters from Young’s MMA.
Garceau (1-0) will face Chelsea Tucker (0-3) at 125 pounds, Denning (1-0) will battle Taylor Thompson (2-0) at 135 pounds and Watson (1-0) will take on Megan Rosado (0-0) in a 145-pound matchup.
Powell gets new foe for Saturday UFC bout
Devin Powell has a new opponent for Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 140 show in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The South Berwick native was scheduled to face Claudio Puelles in a three-round lightweight fight, but Puelles had to drop out because of an injury.
Powell instead will face another Peruvian, Jesus “El Mudo” Pinedo, at approximately 7 p.m. as part of the UFC Fight Pass early prelims available through that promotion’s streaming service.
Powell, 31, is 9-3 overall and 1-2 since earning a UFC contract with a win in August 2016 at the “Dana White Lookin’ for a Fight” show at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor.
Powell is coming off a first-round technical-knockout victory over Alvaro Herrera on July 28 at Calgary, Alberta, in what was seen as a win-or-be-cut bout for Powell, owner of Nostos MMA in Somersworth, New Hampshire.
Pinedo, 22, is 15-4-1 as a professional and will be making his UFC debut. He has fought the majority of his pro fights in his native Lima, Peru, and also has fought in Ecuador and Argentina.
Pinedo won his past six bouts.