ELLSWORTH, Maine — An Ellsworth man shot June 1 by a Maine State Police tactical team member during an armed confrontation and lengthy standoff was arrested Wednesday in Bangor on a warrant for theft and assault, Ellsworth police Lt. Harold Page said.

“Apparently he decided to check himself out of [Eastern Maine Medical Center] and was promptly arrested by Bangor PD,” Page said.

Jeffrey Paul Barnard, 50, was shot by Trooper Scott Duff on the morning of June 1 after an overnight standoff with police that included an exchange of gunfire, Barnard threatening to blow up his camper with a can of gasoline, and Barnard throwing a Molotov cocktail, Page said.

Barnard was shot in the face, with the bullet entering his right eye socket and exiting through his left jaw, Vicki Barnard, 56, said two weeks ago of her husband of 19 years.

Barnard said her husband — who has a lengthy criminal record that includes federal, state and California convictions, as well as prior police standoffs — was placed in a medical coma by doctors to help him heal. He remained at EMMC until Wednesday.

The Barnards are both medical marijuana patients, she said.

“I have no memory of the incident,” Jeff Barnard said in a noontime call to the Bangor Daily News on Wednesday prior to his arrest. “I remember about a week before. I have no recollection about what happened.”

Barnard said his supply of medical marijuana was stolen after the incident. Page said the couple did file a theft report, valuing the stolen medicinal herb at $20,000.

What led to the standoff started when police issued a criminal threatening summons to Barnard on May 30 and served him with a protection order, Page has said.

The landowner of 303 North St., where the Barnards lived in a camper, complained to police at about 8:03 a.m. May 31 that Barnard had stolen the keys to a tractor. Officers went to the scene to investigate, and the confrontation with Barnard began immediately, Page said.

Ellsworth police summoned state police for assistance. State police negotiators went to the home, but the agency’s tactical unit was at a fatal shooting in Aroostook County and didn’t arrive until early Sunday. Bangor police also provided assistance. A portion of Route 179, also known as North Street, was shut down for most of May 31, and it didn’t reopen until 11 a.m. June 1.

When police units converged on the scene, Barnard and his wife refused to come out of the camper, Page said.

The convicted felon also brandished a .22-caliber rifle during the standoff, the lieutenant said.

Police used a truck mounted with a battering ram in an attempt to get the couple to exit the camper, and the state police tactical team was able to shoot a can of tear gas into the camper.

Vicki Barnard said that when Jeff Barnard exited the camper, he was shot.

She was charged with creating a police standoff but was not arrested.

Page said the investigative report will be presented to the Hancock County district attorney’s office, who may add additional charges, and the federal government is considering if Jeff Barnard should be charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm.