The following Maine properties have been entered in the National Register of Historic Places, according to Earle G. Shettleworth Jr., director of the Maine Historic Preservation Commission. These properties have been documented, evaluated and deemed worthy of preservation as part of the nation’s cultural heritage.
The Bond Street Historic District, Augusta
The Bond Street Historic District is composed of seven residential units built primarily in 1884 by the Edwards Manufacturing Company cotton factory to house workers and their families. It was chosen by the National Register as an example of utilitarian architecture and for the manner in which it illustrates the growth of the textile industry in Augusta.
Edgecliff, Southwest Harbor
Edgecliff is a coastal cottage designed by architect William Augustus Bates and built in 1886-87. It was chosen by the National Register as an example of Shingle Style/Queen Anne architecture.
The Foster-Redington House, Waterville
The Foster-Redington House was built by prolific builder and contractor Moses C. Foster in 1883 as his own residence. Frank Redington, a prominent businessman and mayor of Waterville, moved into the home when he married Foster’s daughter. The property was chosen by the National Register as an example of Queen Anne architecture and for the historic significance of the two men who lived there.
The Gooden Grant House, Isle Au Haut
The Gooden Grant House was built by Gooden Grant in 1911. Grant was a lobsterman who fished out of Head Harbor, the southernmost harbor on the island of Isle au Haut. Grant’s successful career became the subject of folk song and legend. The property was chosen by the National Register for the fame of its owner and as a testament to the local economic, cultural and social importance of fishing and lobstering.
The Jean-Baptiste Daigle House, Fort Kent
The Jean-Baptiste Daigle House either was built by Jean Baptiste Daigle or his son Jean Baptiste Daigle, also known as John B. Daigle, circa 1839-46. It was chosen by the National Register as a rare example of 19th century Acadian log construction.
The John and Maria Webb House, Bridgton
The John and Maria Webb House was built circa 1842. It is one of the only homes on Bridgton’s Main Street that escaped alteration, relocation or demolition. It was chosen by the National Register as an example of domestic architecture that illustrates the transition between the Federal and Greek Revival stylistic periods.
The Nathan Clifford School, Portland
The Nathan Clifford school was built in 1909 as a solution to overcrowding in nearby institutions. It was designed by John Calvin Stevens, Portland’s leading architect from the period. The property was chosen by the National Register as an example of Classic Revival architecture and for its role at the forefront of Portland’s educational initiative.
The Poland Spring Historic District, Portland
The Poland Spring Historic District is a recreational resort complex that reached its peak, in terms of size and popularity, between 1876 and 1933. The complex contains 30 buildings or other historic resource. It was chosen by the National Register as an important aspect of the emerging tourism industry in Maine during the 1870s and for its historic significance in the areas of health and medicine.
The Union Meeting House, Whiting
The Union Meeting House was built in 1836 to serve the Congregational and Methodist-Episcopal societies. The structure incorporates Federal and Greek Revival architecture. It was chosen by the National Register as an example of rural church architecture from the second quarter of the 19th century.