May 23, 2018
College sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Northeastern beats Maine hockey team as Bears suffer 10th road loss


BOSTON — The road woes continued for the Maine men’s hockey team Saturday night when the Black Bears dropped a 4-3 Hockey East decision to the Northeastern University Huskies at Matthews Arena.

The Black Bears are now 1-10-3 on the road, with the lone win coming on Feb. 7 against Notre Dame.

Maine falls to 15-11-4 and 9-6-3 in Hockey East. Northeastern improves to 18-10-4 overall, 10-7-2 in the league.

Maine defenseman Ben Hutton got a pair of goals in the game. He now has 13 goals on the season, tying him for the school record for goals in a season by a defenseman..

Northeastern took an early 1-0 lead on a goal by Zach Ashton-Reese just 3:41 into the opening period from Kevin Roy and Mike Szmatula. The Huskies made it 2-0 at 6:44 when Ashton-Reese made a pass to Szmatula, who was stationed just outside the crease. He redirected the puck past Maine goalie Martin Ouellette.

Maine got on the board at 16:46 of the first period with a power-play goal. Cam Brown got the puck to Jake Rutt on the blueline. He found Hutton, who skated a few strides before firing the puck past Northeastern goalie Clay Witt.

Maine tied the game at 2-2 on a goal by Devin Shore at 3:18 of the second period. Ryan Lomberg, returning from a one-game Hockey East suspension, gained control of the puck and gave it to Mark Anthoine in the neutral zone.

Shore received the pass and had plenty of time and room in the offensive zone. He skated a few strides uncontested before beating Witt. For Shore, it was his 13th goal of the season.

Northeastern regained the lead with a power-play goal at 14:41 of the second period. Maine appeared to have tied the puck up against the wall, but the Huskies were able to come away with it. Kevin Roy fired the puck to Braden Pimm all alone in front of Ouellette. He shot the puck past him to give Northeastern the 3-2 lead.

Northeastern extended its lead to 4-2 with a goal by Ashton-Reese at 10:56 of the third period. Roy had a shot that Ouellette saved, but the rebound was left in the crease and Ashton-Reese fired it into the back of the net.

Maine pulled Ouellette and pulled to within one goal at 17:19. Shore got the puck to Hutton inside the blueline. His shot eluded traffic and found the back of the net.

Maine outshot Northeastern 38-37. Maine was 1-for-4 on the power play, while Northeastern finished 1-for-3.

Ouellette made 33 saves and Witt had 35.

Maine returns to action at 7 p.m. Friday it hosts Providence College at Alfond Arena in Orono.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like