In addition to not taking dogs on errands in hot weather, veterinarian Michelle Maloney recommended precautions to keep dogs from overheating at home in hot, humid weather.
• “You need water, always,” Maloney said. “That’s how dogs cool themselves. They really need that water. I can’t stress that enough.” The water should be cool, she said, but not full of ice.
• Skip chasing the ball or any vigorous exercise.
• Take dogs on walks early in the day and later in the day, when it’s not so hot.
• If you don’t have air conditioning, cool your dogs down by hosing them with water in the yard.
• If your dog becomes overheated, cover their fur with rubbing alcohol to cool them down. “Rubbing alcohol disperses the heat,” she said.