June 25, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Surry man dies in head-on collision in Ellsworth

Michael C. York | BDN
Michael C. York | BDN
George Stevens Academy's Peter Dickinson delivers a fourth-inning pitch against Madawaska during an Eastern Maine Class C semifinal Saturday in Blue Hill in this 2009 file photo. Dickinson died after a fatal car accident Monday, July 1, 2013.
By Mario Moretto, BDN Staff

ELLSWORTH, Maine — A 22-year-old Surry man is dead after a high-speed collision in Ellsworth late Monday night, police said.

Peter Dickinson was driving his 2000 Saturn Sedan east, toward downtown Ellsworth, on the Bucksport road around 11:30 p.m. when he inexplicably crossed the yellow line and struck another vehicle, said Lt. Harold Page on Monday.

The head-on collision took place about 4 miles from downtown Ellsworth. Both vehicles were “totally demolished,” Page said, and Dickinson was pronounced dead at the scene.

The other driver, Joshua McHugh, 24, of Swanville, was brought to Maine Coast Memorial Hospital with a broken arm, broken leg and possible internal bleeding, Page said. McHugh was still at the hospital as of noon Tuesday.

Page said speed was a factor in the accident, and that Dickinson was not wearing a seatbelt.

“You can tell by the amount of damage,” he said, adding that “we had had a call about him just a couple minutes prior to the accident. Somebody also headed west had met him and called in a complaint that he was travelling at a high rate of speed.”

The accident took place around the same time another, unrelated car accident claimed two lives in Hancock.

Page said the Ellsworth crash remains under investigation.

Dickinson attended George Stevens Academy in Blue Hill, from which he graduated in 2009. BDN archives show that Dickinson was a shortstop and right-handed pitcher on the GSA baseball team. During his senior year, Dickinson scored the game-winning run that sent the Eagles to the state finals for the fifth time in 10 years.

People flocked to Dickinson’s Facebook page on Monday morning, offering memorials to their friend.

“My heart aches to hear this news,” wrote one. “I hope you find heaven peaceful. You will be so missed.”

Follow Mario Moretto on Twitter at @riocarmine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like