Caribou girl in Maine Medical Center burn unit after clothes catch fire

Posted Nov. 11, 2012, at 5:42 p.m.
Last modified Nov. 12, 2012, at 9:32 a.m.

CARIBOU, Maine — A local girl was flown to the Maine Medical Center’s burn unit Sunday after sustaining unspecified burn injuries Sunday morning, according to the state fire marshall.

“The 8-year-old girl sustained burns when her clothing caught fire,” Tim Lowell, state fire marshall, said late Sunday afternoon.

The incident occurred at her Caribou residence between 9 and 9:30 a.m. Sunday, Lowell said, adding the incident is under joint investigation between his office and the Caribou Police Department with officer Mark Gahagan.

“She was transported by ambulance to Cary Medical Center and then flown down to Maine Medical Center,” Lowell said, declining to identify the girl and her family. He would not comment further on the cause or extent of the injuries.

“Our office investigates any time there is significant injury due to fire,” he said. “We are looking into how it occurred.”

The investigation continued into Sunday evening, Lowell said.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business