June 17, 2018
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

Suspect in custody after police end Mechanic Falls standoff with a Taser

Andie Hannon | Sun Journal
Andie Hannon | Sun Journal
Police blocked Pleasant Street (Route 121) between North Street and North Main Street in Mechanic Falls while a man made threats at a home on the street Sunday night into Monday morning.
By Andie Hannon, Sun Journal

MECHANIC FALLS, Maine — A 21-year-old local man was stunned with a Taser and taken into custody after a 90-minute standoff late Sunday into early Monday.

The man, who wasn’t identified by authorities, was armed and threatened to harm a woman at his Pleasant Street home when he was subdued by officers, Mechanic Falls police Chief Jeff Goss said.

Officers went to the scene on Pleasant Street, which is Route 121, after 10:34 p.m. Sunday when someone called police and hung up, Goss said.

Family members met officers when they arrived and said the man was inside, armed and drunk.

Shortly before the incident ended, the man came outside. He had a handgun in his hand and appeared intoxicated, Goss said.

“He came outside and was uncooperative with police,” Goss said. “He said he was going to kill his girlfriend if she didn’t get off the porch.”

When the man briefly took his eyes off police, one officer used his Taser and the standoff was soon over.

The 21-year-old was taken to St. Mary’s Hospital in Lewiston for a psychological evaluation, Goss said. The chief expected charges to be filed after the evaluation.

Pleasant Street was closed from North Main Street to North Street during the incident, which ended at 12:10 a.m. Monday, the chief said.

Officers from the Maine State Police, Oxford Police Department and Androscoggin Sheriff’s Department joined Mechanic Falls officers during the standoff.

See more from the Sun Journal at sunjournal.com.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like