ORONO, Maine — University of Maine freshman wing Connor Leen hasn’t played since a 4-1 loss to UMass on Feb. 18.

He has been a healthy scratch.

But Maine men’s hockey coach Tim Whitehead said Leen is the “front-runner” to replace Spencer Abbott in the lineup against Minnesota-Duluth in Saturday night’s Northeast Regional if Abbott isn’t cleared to play after suffering a head injury in last Friday’s 5-3 Hockey East semifinal win over Boston University.

“Connor has a lot of speed and skill and has looked great in practice,” said Whitehead.

Abbott skated on Thursday but Whitehead said doctors “haven’t cleared him to play.

“He’s feeling better but he is evaluated every day and has to pass a series of tests [to become eligible],” said Whitehead.

Abbott is the nation’s leading scorer, was the Hockey East Player of the Year and is a Hobey Baker Award finalist.

Leen has played in 22 games and has one goal, a game-winner against Boston College on Jan. 21.

If Leen is put on the top line with Brian Flynn and Joey Diamond, that would enable Whitehead to keep his other three lines intact.

“We obviously want Spencer to play,” said Leen. “He’s been our top player and is the top player in the country. We need him. But if he can’t play and I get a chance, it would be great.”

Leen said if he plays, he doesn’t think it would take him long to get back into the swing of things.

“Because it’s such a big game, it would be easy to get into it real quickly. Energy won’t be an issue,” said Leen.

He said he will focus on “doing my job defensively.”

“And I’ll take any offensive chances I get. I’ll try to get pucks to the net and help my linemates make plays,” said Leen.

Maine junior right wing Matt Mangene would feel comfortable with Leen back in the lineup.

“He definitely came up big in the BC game,” said Mangene. “He’s a very skilled forward who plays with a lot of tenacity and grit.”

“We’re confident whoever is in there will step up,” said junior left wing Adam Shemansky.

The other possibilities would be freshman right wing Andrew Cerretani or freshman defenseman Jake Rutt.

Mangene could be moved up to play with Flynn and Diamond but that would mean someone would have to take his spot on the shutdown line with Mark Anthoine and Stu Higgins.

Cerretani previously has played with Shemansky and Kyle Beattie and was with them in Saturday’s 4-1 Hockey East championship game loss to BC.

Beattie, Shemansky productive linemates

Beattie and Shemansky have played together most of the season and were former Eastern Junior Hockey League linemates with the New Hampshire Junior Monarchs.

Beattie has 27 points (6 goals, 21 assists) and Shemansky has 21 (11 & 10) and they have developed a chemistry that has enabled them to have productive seasons despite having a variety of right wings.

“Adam and I read off each other well and we know what to do. We play well together. It will only take a couple of shifts in practice to adjust,” said Beattie.

“I enjoy playing with Kyle. We try to be predictable for each other,” said Shemansky. “As long as we’re sticking to our systems, anyone can jump in anywhere.”

Join the Conversation

10 Comments

      1. Mangene needs to stay on the second line for depth . Put him on the 1st line and you lose
        strength in the 2nd..

  1. If Abbot says he feels good and is not having headaches, etc, then let him play! What is this legality testing crap????? Lawyers have destroyed this country by taking our freedoms with the use of fear and denying the existence of common sense! Go #13 and Go Blue!!!!!

    Mangene needs to stay on the 2nd line.
    If the lawyers win then I say Anthoine to the 1st line and Leen on the 2nd…..

    1. This has nothing to do with the law.  It is about preventing serious health problems for him in the future.

      Allowing a college kid with active concussion symptoms to play is asking for long-term trouble.  Whether he knows it or not, I think Abbott would rather avoid depression and memory loss in 20 years than play in one college hockey game.  He is a 22 year old kid with some special talents who ought to have a long and productive pro career ahead of him.

      1. Perhaps you missed the part where I said in the first sentence, ” says he feels good and is not having headaches, etc”, i.e. active concussion symptoms as you call them.  People need to listen to what he is saying as he is 22 years old and more than capable of making his own decisions…….

  2. Concussions are nothing to fool around with…they know more then they did 5/10 years ago….and if there’s a change in the lineup I would go with Cerretani,nothing against Leen as I like his play also,just thing that Cerretani is more game ready and brings some toughness in his overall play….BUT if I could make a change and this would have happen 6-10 games ago…Rutt would be in the Lineup and one these two would be out or rotated…Hegarty/Pryor.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *