Everyone loves a grilled cheese sandwich. Here’s a low-fat version that packs a vegetable punch.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
Serving Size: 1 sandwich
1 tsp garlic, minced (about ½ clove)
1 small onion, minced (about ½ cup)
2 C frozen cut spinach, thawed and drained (or substitute 2 bags (10 oz each) fresh leaf spinach, rinsed)
¼ tsp ground black pepper
8 slices whole-wheat bread
1 medium tomato, rinsed, cut into 4 slices
1 C shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Place a large baking sheet in the oven to preheat for about 10 minutes.
- Heat garlic with cooking spray in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until soft, but not browned. Add onions, and continue to cook until the onions are soft, but not browned.
- Add spinach, and toss gently. Cook until the spinach is heated throughout. Season with pepper, and set aside to cool.
- When the spinach and onions are cool, assemble each sandwich with one slice of bread on the bottom, one tomato slice, ½ cup of spinach mixture, ¼ cup of cheese, and a second slice of bread on the top.
- Spray the preheated nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the sandwiches on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the bottom of each sandwich is browned.
- Carefully flip sandwiches, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until both sides are browned. Serve immediately.
Total fat: 8 g
Saturated fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 18 mg
Sodium: 468 mg
Total fiber: 6 g
Protein: 17 g
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Potassium: 364 mg
Vitamin A: 130%
Vitamin C: 6%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Source: Deliciously Healthy Dinners National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services