May 22, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

Quick action limits fire damage to Bar Harbor home

By Rich Hewitt, BDN Staff


BAR HARBOR, Maine — A quick response by firefighters contained fire damage to the basement of an Ash Street home Saturday night.


According to Assistant Chief Lyman Kane of the Bar Harbor Fire Department, the call came in at about 10 p.m. at the rented home. The call initially described an overheated wood stove, but Kane said when the first firefighters arrived, it had become a structure fire.


The occupants of the home, whose names were not available, were in the building at the time, but were able to get out and call the fire department. The fire started from combustibles that were too close to the wood stove, Kane said. Firefighters were able to knock down the fire quickly and prevent the fire from spreading beyond the basement, he said.  There was some smoke damage to the rest of the building.


“We had a good, quick stop, and the house will still be habitable,’’ he said.


The occupants were not able to return to the house last night, he said, but should be back in soon.


No one was injured in the fire.


The Bar Harbor department was assisted by a crew from the Mount Desert Fire Department who stood by at the Bar Harbor station.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like