CARIBOU, Maine — An 18-year-old Limestone teen who will be tried as an adult in connection with the death of his 3-month-old daughter last year has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter.
Nicklas Jones was 17 when he allegedly threw his daughter, Joselyn Jones, into her crib to stop her from crying.
After a two-day hearing in May, a judge determined that Nicklas Jones would be tried as an adult rather than as a juvenile.
According to testimony in the case, Jones told police that on April 23, 2009, he threw his daughter into her crib, and she hit her head. The baby died four days later at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor of blunt force trauma to the head. Jones was arrested on May 1, 2009, and pleaded not guilty to a charge of manslaughter in Caribou District Court shortly afterward. He was held at Mountain View Correctional Facility in Charleston for more than a year until his release after the May hearing.
After his trial status was determined, Jones was indicted as an adult by the Aroostook County grand jury last month.
He entered a not guilty plea to the charge on Thursday, according to Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson.
Aroostook County Assistant District Attorney John Pluto, who stood in for Benson in court last week, said Tuesday that Jones has not yet indicated if he will request a jury trial.
In May, Jones’ bail was set at $50,000 surety or $10,000 cash with numerous conditions, including weekly reports to law enforcement and abstaining from using drugs and alcohol.
Pluto said that Jones is now out on bail, but he is not sure when he made bail.