May 25, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | DHHS Report | Islesboro Ferry | Election 2018

Site where Old Town woman’s body found ‘horrendous’

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — One week after Ansel Gould found a young woman’s body in a shed hidden in trees along the Penobscot River, he was back at the site “just looking around.”

“This is the first day I have come back down here,” he said, standing about 10 feet from where he found 19-year-old Holly Boutilier’s body one week before. “I keep thinking, if I had been here a day earlier this may not have happened.”

The 42-year-old Bangor transient said, “There is no doubt she was murdered. That’s why I immediately called police.”

Colin Koehler, 34, was arrested Tuesday, Aug. 11, and charged with Boutilier’s murder just two days after Gould found the Old Town woman’s body. Koehler is being held without bail at Penobscot County Jail.

Gould, who stood with a 40-ounce beer in his hands on Sunday, said, “I come down here because I don’t want to deal with society.”

Gould arrived at the shed, where he and a woman named Roberta have been staying, at about a quarter to noon Sunday, Aug. 9, and noticed the body when he was about 10 feet away from the opening of the hut.

“At first I thought it was Roberta,” he said. After going a little closer, Gould was able to determine that it wasn’t his friend and, “I immediately went down to the tugboat guys and had them call police.

“I almost think she was hiding in there — that’s what it looked like to me,” he said.

The longtime Bangor man said he thinks he remembers seeing the victim hanging out downtown in the weeks before her death, but “I had never seen her down here.”

Gould had heard that the city plans to tear down the shed, which sits among trees along the Penobscot River between where Dutton Street ends and the Veterans’ Remembrance Bridge.

“That was the whole reason I was down here that day,” he said. “I was moving my stuff out.”

Police say the shack is a place where homeless people are known to gather to drink. The city took ownership of the land in 1996, and a committee of local leaders, included police, had toured the area a couple of weeks ago and had created plans to remove the dilapidated structure.

Police are giving few details about the murder, except to say Koehler and Boutilier knew each other.

Police took Koehler into custody just after 5 p.m. Tuesday after members of the Bangor Police Department’s Special Response Team used tear gas to force him from his bottom-floor apartment at 92 Columbia St. Koehler had barricaded himself inside.

Police found weapons inside his apartment, but are not releasing what kind or whether any are believed to be the murder weapon. An affidavit detailing how Boutilier was killed is expected to remain sealed until after the bail hearing. Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson said he has no problem with it being unsealed, but that decision is up to the judge.

“I think the law is clear that the affidavit cannot be sealed in perpetuity,” he said Sunday.

Gould gave details to the Bangor Daily News about what he saw when he found Boutilier, but asked that they not be used. He said those details will come out during Koehler’s murder trial.

“It was horrendous,” he said, describing the scene. Whoever did the crime “wasn’t a nice guy.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like