• Roger Bernier of New Hampshire was charged in August with the 1986 strangling of 33-year-old Mary Kelley, whose body was found in the bathtub of her Congress Street apartment in Portland. He is awaiting trial.
• Michael M. Boucher Sr. was convicted in 1991 in the 1973 slaying of 18-year-old Debra Dill, whose badly beaten body was found along a camp road in the Tacoma Lakes region of Litchfield. He was indicted in 1988.
• Serial killer James Hicks was convicted in 2000 for the 1982 murder of 34-year-old Jerilyn Towers of Newport and 40-year-old Lynn Willette in 1996 and received two life sentences.
• Thomas Mitchell of South Portland was arrested in 2006 in connection with the 1983 murder of 23-year-old Judith Flagg of Fayette, who was stabbed to death. New technology used on old physical evidence broke that case. Mitchell has been indicted and is awaiting trial.
• Michael Hutchinson was charged in 2006 for the 1994 murder of Crystal Perry at her home in Bridgton. New DNA and forensic testing helped convict Hutchinson in 2007. He is serving life in prison.
• Norma Small was convicted in 2002 in a murder-for-hire scheme perpetrated against her husband, Mervin “Sonny” Grotton, at his home in Belfast in 1983.
• Albert Cochran was arrested in 1997 for the 1976 slaying of Janet Baxter of Oakland. Cochran was sentenced to life in prison.
Source: Maine State Police