April 20, 2018
Down East Latest News | Poll Questions | Kenduskeag Stream Race | Opioids | Maine Legislature

Pembroke man sentenced in theft

By Diana Graettinger

MACHIAS, Maine — A Pembroke man who was charged with stealing tools from a construction site and running the site manager off a road was sentenced to two years in prison with all but six months suspended.

Christopher A. Kilton, 32, appeared in Washington County Superior Court on Thursday and received the same sentence as his co-defendant.

He was placed on two years’ probation and ordered to pay $1,000 restitution and $575 in fines. His license was suspended for 30 days, First Assistant District Attorney Paul Cavanaugh said Thursday.

Kilton’s co-defendant, Matthew Seeley, 30, of Edmunds, received the same sentence a few days ago.

In March, the Washington County grand jury indicted the two men and charged them with two counts of burglary and one count each of theft by unauthorized taking, aggravated criminal mischief and driving to endanger.

Last year, Dan Ackley, the site manager at a construction site in Cooper, went to the house lots in the Cathance Shores subdivision just off Route 191 to check on them. The cable that normally blocked access to the subdivision road was lying on the ground.

When Ackley arrived at the house lot he found Seeley and Kilton loading tools and other items into a pickup truck. Ackley did not know the men, but he did know the tools, some of which were his.

The two men claimed that the contractor hadn’t paid them and they were collecting their own tools.

The men took the tools out of the pickup truck and put them back on the porch. Ackley then noticed a rifle across the front seat of the men’s truck and decided to leave, an affidavit on file with the court said.

While driving away from the site, he called 911.

The men caught up with Ackley’s truck and tried to pass, but the site manager continued to drive slowly in hopes police would arrive. After following Ackley a short distance, the men pulled alongside Ackley’s truck, striking it on the side and forcing it off the road and into a tree. The two men then sped away, the court documents added.

Ackley was not injured.

Police discovered Kilton had been seen earlier in the evening with Seeley. They began looking for both men.

The next day, Ackley identified Kilton and Seeley from photo lineups.

That same day, police found Kilton’s truck in a gravel pit.

Two days after the incident, Seeley turned himself in to police.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like