May 20, 2019
Penobscot Latest News | Fiberight | Bangor Metro | Educators Retire | Today's Paper

Woman involved in Millinocket home invasion pleads guilty to robbery

Gabor Degre | BDN
Gabor Degre | BDN
Alexis Locklear with attorneys Hunter Tzovarras, right, and Logan Perkins at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor on Tuesday afternoon.

The second of three people charged in connection with a December 2017 home invasion that left a Millinocket man dead and his wife injured pleaded guilty to robbery Tuesday at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor.

Alexis Locklear, 22, of Maxton, North Carolina, was charged with felony murder and robbery in connection with the attack.

She pleaded guilty to robbery. Her plea agreement with the Maine attorney general’s office calls for the other charge to be dropped and for her to be sentenced to time served when she is sentenced in a few months.

The penalty for Class A robbery in Maine is up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000.

Her father, Tony Locklear, 44, previously of East Millinocket and Pembroke, North Carolina, pleaded guilty Jan. 8 to one count each of intentional or knowing murder, elevated aggravated assault and robbery. He does not have a plea deal with prosecutors.

His sentencing date has not been set.

Locklear and Christopher Murray, 39, of Red Springs, North Carolina, were charged with shooting Wayne Lapierre, 59, and his wife, Diem Lapierre, 34, on Dec. 19, 2017, in their Millinocket home. Wayne Lapierre died of bullet wounds three days later in a Bangor hospital. His wife survived her injuries, according to court documents.

Superior Court Justice William Anderson described Alexis Locklear as an accomplice to the men.

Deputy Attorney General Lisa Marchese, who is prosecuting the case, said that the young woman went into the Lapierres’ home with the men but was not in the house when they were shot. She allegedly got Diem Lapierre’s wallet out of her purse and took marijuana from the house to the car in which the trio arrived.

Murray is scheduled to go to trial Jan. 28 in Bangor on the same charges to which Tony Locklear pleaded guilty. Alexis Locklear is expected to testify against her former boyfriend, but Tony Locklear is not, according to attorneys involved in the case.

Jeffrey Silverstein, Tony Locklear’s Bangor attorney, said on Jan. 8 that his client decided to plead guilty for his daughter’s sake.

“He very much wanted to set the record straight regarding his daughter’s involvement,” Silverstein said. “He admits that he put her in a really bad position and that she was not a knowing participant. He was willing to admit his own misdeeds and culpability in order to try to improve her situation by being truthful. He also welcomes the opportunity to serve his sentence up here.”

Tony Locklear also faces murder and first-degree kidnapping charges in North Carolina in connection with the slaying of Braxton Chavis Jr. in Maxton on Dec. 4, 2017.

He was arrested on the Maine charges in Alabama in early March 2018.

Lapierre was a licensed medical marijuana grower who also owned storage facilities, a plowing and excavation company, and other businesses in the Millinocket area, according to court documents.

The men went to the house intending to rob Wayne Lapierre, for whom Tony Locklear had previously worked, according to court documents. They left with two 5-gallon buckets of marijuana, between $400 and $500 in cash, and the rings off Diem Lapierre’s fingers, according to the prosecution.

The Locklears and Murray have been held without bail at the Penobscot County Jail since their arrests.

The penalty for murder in Maine is 25 years to life in prison.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like