A woman previously charged with threatening police with a homemade weapon allegedly tried to grab a police officer’s gun on Saturday in the emergency room at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, according to the Penobscot County district attorney’s office.

Alexis Lannon, 23, of Bangor is charged with criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person but never got the gun out of the officer’s holster, Assistant District Attorney Marianne Lynch said Monday.

Lannon had been taken to the emergency room after trying to harm herself in an apparent suicide attempt, according to Lynch. The officer and emergency room personnel were trying to keep Lannon from harming herself further when she allegedly tried to grab the gun at about 8:10 p.m., the prosecutor said.

Lannon’s emergency room visit came as local law enforcement and hospitals are discussing how to better care for people brought into the emergency room with pending criminal charges or severe behavioral issues, according to Penobscot County Sheriff Troy Morton.

Emergency room staff from local hospitals approached him last month to express concerns about their ability to properly and safely care for an increasing number of such patients, he said. A follow-up meeting with area law enforcement has yet to be scheduled, he said.

Lannon made her first court appearance Monday afternoon at the Penobscot Judicial Center by video from jail. She was dressed in blue jail clothes and had a white bandage wrapped around her left forearm.

She was not asked to enter pleas because she has not yet been indicted by the grand jury. It next convenes on June 27.

District Court Judge Bruce Jordan set Lannon’s bail at $5,000 cash and ordered that she undergo a competency evaluation at Riverview Psychiatric Center in Augusta.

Lannon moved to Bangor recently and was living in a group home in the area when she tried to cut her arm with a piece of glass, Lynch said after the brief court hearing. She also said Lannon had a long history of mental health issues.

“This was a very dangerous situation,” Lynch said of the incident in the emergency room. “The officer was in fear for his safety and the safety of others in the ER.”

On June 28, 2015, Lannon was shot and wounded by police in Carmel after she was accused of threatening people with a “homemade weapon” that resembled a medieval flail. Penobscot County sheriff’s Deputy Kari Kurth fired on Lannon at the scene on Route 2 when Lannon “advanced toward” her with the weapon, according to the Bangor Daily News archives. Lannon recovered from her injuries and was charged with two counts of criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon and three counts of criminal mischief. She was found not criminally responsible.

Superior Court Justice Ann Murray found Lannon not competent to stand trial later that year, and Lannon was committed to Riverview Psychiatric Center.

The timing of Lannon’s release from Riverview was not available Monday. Staff at the state’s only forensic psychiatric hospital did not immediately return a request for information.

In February 2016, the Maine attorney general’s office found Kurth was justified in shooting Lannon.

If convicted, Lannon faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000 on the criminal threatening and reckless conduct charges.

BDN writer Callie Ferguson contributed to this report.

Follow the Bangor Daily News on Facebook for the latest Maine news.