BANGOR, Maine — The Millinocket man arrested late Wednesday in connection with the death of a 6-month-old boy last year pleaded not guilty Friday to manslaughter at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

Jessee Mackin, 33, is being held on $50,000 cash bail at the Penobscot County Jail.

Mackin was arrested hours after he was indicted Wednesday by a Penobscot County grand jury on a charge of manslaughter related to the death of Larry Lord Jr., the son of his girlfriend, according to Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

The boy died as a result of traumatic brain injury and a fractured skull, Assistant Attorney General Deb Cashman, who is prosecuting the case, told Superior Court Justice William Anderson on Friday.

Anderson on Friday granted a defense motion by attorney Michael Harman of Millinocket and Bangor to continue until Tuesday a hearing to determine if Mackin’s bail should be reduced.

Members of the victim’s family left the courthouse through a side door to avoid the media waiting from them in the lobby.

Cashman and Harman declined to comment on the case.

Mackin has a history of violence, including convictions for domestic violence assault and violation of a protection order, according to state records.

Mackin’s most recent conviction in Maine was in 2006, when he was found guilty of a misdemeanor assault.

The manslaughter charge stems from the May death of Larry Earl Lord, the 6-month-old son of accused murderer Anthony Lord, 35, of Houlton.

The infant was taken to the Millinocket hospital on May 5 and died at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor on May 7, according to previously published reports.

“The baby died at the hospital after being brought there unresponsive by his mother in May, and state police have been investigating the death since that time,” McCausland said.

Larry Lord is survived by his parents and four sisters, according to his obituary. The Jesse [sic] Mackin family is also listed among the survivors.

It was not immediately clear if the rampage involving Anthony Lord on July 17 was related to the death of his son two months earlier.

The child’s death was mentioned in several BDN stories about the shooting spree, which left two men dead.

Jamie Clark, the mother of Larry Lord, said during an interview with the BDN in July that Brittany Irish, the woman allegedly kidnapped by Anthony Lord amid the shooting spree, ” came into my son’s funeral holding hands [with Anthony Lord].”

Irish said in July that she formed a friendship with Anthony Lord and was at the boy’s funeral to support him because “I had a miscarriage at the same time that his son died.”

The nature of the relationship between Clark and Mackin was not mentioned in previous stories.

Anthony Lord, who has a long criminal history and is a lifetime registrant of the Maine Sex Offender Registry, was arrested after the shooting spree and manhunt that resulted in the deaths of Kyle Hewitt, 25, of Bangor and Kevin Tozier, 58, of Lee.

Lord is awaiting trial after entering a not guilty plea to the charges against him.

If convicted, Mackin faces up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000.

BDN writers Dawn Gagnon and Nok-Noi Ricker contributed to this report.