BANGOR, Maine — The Orono man accused of luring a 15-year-old girl to her death using a fake Facebook page repeatedly denied to police that he created it, according to a transcript made from an audio recording of the interview.
Kyle Dube, 21, also repeatedly denied being involved in Nichole Cable’s disappearance. He was interviewed by Maine State Police detectives on May 15, 2013, three days after the girl went missing.
The 3½-hour interview was played for jurors Friday, the fifth day of Dube’s trial at the Penobscot Judicial Center. Jurors were given a transcript of the interview conducted by detectives Jay Pelletier and Thomas Pickering at their then-office on the campus on Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center in Bangor.
Dube is accused of luring Cable out of her mother’s home in Glenburn on Mother’s Day nearly two years ago by using someone else’s identity on Facebook, then killing her in an abduction gone wrong.
Dube has pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and murder in the May 12, 2013, death of the Old Town High School student. He allegedly planned to kidnap the girl, hide her, then find her and play the hero.
By May 15, 2013, when Dube was interviewed, police had traced a fake Facebook page in the name of Bryan Butterfield to an IP address assigned to Dube’s father, Gregory Dube, according to previous testimony. Investigators also had traced posts to the page to Kyle Dube’s cell phone.
When the detectives asked Dube how that could have happened, he told them he did not know, according to the transcript.
“I was stunned when police said it was from my parents’ [IP] address,” Dube said.
He also denied creating the page.
“I have not, never in my life changed or made a different account for Facebook,” Dube told the detectives. “I have never, I would never, lie about that. I want to find her.”
Toward the end of the interview, a detective asked Dube what he thought had happened to Cable.
“My gut feeling says, ‘ Maybe she’s with her friends somewhere partying,’” he said.
Dube told detectives that he had not seen Cable in at least a month but had communicated with her through Facebook and text messages. He said he’d met the girl three months earlier through friends and they had “hung out” and gone to a couple of parties together.
When police asked Dube if he and Cable had had “a thing,” Dube said: “We kind of did. I mean we kissed once in a while, stuff like that, but it wasn’t anything serious. We didn’t have sex or anything like that or get into a serious relationship.”
Dube said that phase of their relationship lasted about a month, but he told Cable she was too young for him and he had a serious girlfriend, Sarah Mersinger.
At the end of the interview, Dube voluntarily gave police a sample of his DNA. He also allowed them to collect some of his clothes.
After jurors heard the recording, Michelle Fleury, a chemist with the Maine State Police Crime Lab, testified Friday afternoon that she found no seminal fluid or human blood on the clothes found on the side of Hudson Road that were worn by Cable the night she disappeared.
Fleury said that she did find human hair on the duct tape recovered from the side of the Hudson Road. It was sent to the DNA lab for analysis.
A DNA expert from the crime lab is expected to testify next week.
Cable’s body was found late May 20, 2013, in a wooded area of Old Town covered in dirt, leaves and tree branches. The teenager died of “asphyxia due to compression of the neck,” Dr. Margaret Greenwald of the state medical examiner’s office testified Thursday afternoon.
Greenwald told jurors that there were linear abrasions on Cable’s neck and scratches under her chin. There also were multiple abrasions and contusions on Cable’s face, including her forehead, left eye, left cheek, nose and lip, Greenwald told jurors.
The now retired medical examiner also said it was impossible to determine exactly when Cable died. Greenwald estimated the teenager had been dead for days or several weeks before she was found. Under cross-examination, Greenwald said that Cable could have been killed just three days before her body was discovered.
The trial before a jury of eight men and seven women is scheduled to resume Monday. A recording of a second police interview with Dube is expected to be played.
If Dube is convicted of murder, he faces between 25 years and life in prison. He is being held without bail.
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.