February 24, 2020
Bangor Latest News | Child Welfare System | Bangor Metro | Kevin Hancock | Today's Paper

Shots fired during police standoff on Union Street in Bangor

Ashley L. Conti | BDN
Ashley L. Conti | BDN
The Special Response Team of the Bangor Police Department was at standoff situation with a man on Sunday at a Union Street residence in Bangor.

BANGOR, Maine — Bangor police and the Special Response Team are in a standoff with a man at a Union Street residence on Sunday.

Lt. Bob Bishop said that police were called to 831 Union St. at 8 a.m. after a man armed with a weapon entered the home and took a man and woman hostage.

When police approached the residence, several shots were fired through the wall and door, according to Bishop, and police returned fire. He added that no injuries resulted from the gunfire.

The lieutenant said that the man has since released both hostages, but the standoff is still ongoing. He added that negotiators were at the residence, and police were continuing to try and resolve the situation peacefully.

Sgt. Tim Cotton arrived at the scene before noon and said that he believes negotiators have been using phones to communicate.

“Our negotiators are having some success speaking with the individual at this time,” he said.

Cotton also said that police believe that the man did know the two people who were taken hostage at the residence.

The sergeant did not have any information as to what prompted the man to go to the Union Street home.

The National Guard had been running drills with helicopters earlier in the morning, but police asked them to stop as the standoff situation unfolded, according to Bishop.

Union Street has been closed to at least the Vermont Avenue intersection, and traffic is being rerouted to Vermont Avenue.

Maine State Police and the Bangor Fire Department are assisting Bangor police.

Watch bangordailynews.com for updates.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like