Bangor Metro & Special Sections Reporter
on Oct. 08, 2015, at 11:47 a.m.
1. Why, hardly a tree has even turned so far this fall. It’s almost a third of the way through October and I’m still waiting on full foliage. It’s coming, though. Just a few more days. This weekend in Bangor, take your pick earlier in the evening with either the …
By Emily Burnham on Oct. 07, 2015, at 11:38 a.m.
After initially getting together as a one-time-only band to play at the first-ever Justice for the River event in the fall of 2013, Bangor area musicians Eric Green, Jason Mitchell, Nick Bear and Lawton Mann decided that the music they were making was too good to stop. In fact, they …
on Oct. 06, 2015, at 10:45 a.m.
For a four-song EP, Oliver Waterman’s “Lament” is a fairly long-playing affair. The Portland multi-instrumentalist and singer-songwriter’s first official album feels greater than the sum of its parts, blending acoustic pop with a kind of highly arranged, folk-orchestral sound. Waterman, who played in a number of hyper local indie and …
on Oct. 01, 2015, at 12:25 p.m.
1. Well, after we all nearly floated away on Wednesday thanks to the ungodly amounts of rain, I’d say we’re ready to kick back this weekend, right? In Bangor on Friday night, there’s a huge amount of things going on, from improv comedy with the Focus Group at the Next …
on Sept. 29, 2015, at 11:11 a.m.
For the past five years, the town of Winooski, Vermont has been home to one of the coolest music festivals in the Northeast: Waking Windows, a carefully curated day of diverse, independent music, visual and literary arts and comedy in small-to-medium-sized venues throughout the town’s downtown area. Much like the Belfast …
on Sept. 28, 2015, at 3:47 p.m.
Amy Schumer, star of this summer’s hit movie “Trainwreck,” will bring her honest, unapologetic sense of humor to Portland.
on Sept. 24, 2015, at 12:46 p.m.
1. Ah, fall. Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. That was Keats. I got an English degree. See, Ma? I put that educatin’ to use. Anyway, in Bangtown this weekend there’s another type of Bangtown on Friday night, when punk rockers Bangtown Timebomb play with the Jonee Earthquake Band at Paddy …
By Emily Burnham on Sept. 24, 2015, at 10:57 a.m.
I’ve gotten the chance to interview a lot of famous people over the years. I don’t really get nervous. But I’ll admit, I got super nervous interviewing Craig Ferguson. Why? I think he’s hilarious.
By Emily Burnham on Sept. 23, 2015, at 11:45 a.m.
The title track from Bangor Symphony Orchestra director Lucas Richman’s new album will be among the first pieces performed during the BSO’s 120th season kickoff concert, “The New World.”
on Sept. 22, 2015, at 10:04 a.m.
The Portland band Johnny Cremains is one of those bands that only plays a handful of gigs each year, and everyone in the band is in like three or four other bands, and you kind of have to know someone that knows them to know much about the band in the …
on Sept. 18, 2015, at 2:57 p.m.
The Grammy-winning band the Arcade Fire, which has strong local Maine connections, is releasing a full length documentary, “The Reflektor Tapes,” documenting the recording and 2014 tour of their Billboard number one album “Reflektor,” which made a stop in Bangor in August 2014. The movie, directed by Kahlil Joseph, will be shown …
on Sept. 17, 2015, at 1:37 p.m.
1. It’s art walk night in Downtown Bangor, with lots of things to see and do in town, including a musical performance and are show from The City Proper at Coespace, a special show featuring Bangor tattoo artists and much more. It’s also the Battle of the Bands event at …
on Sept. 15, 2015, at 11:15 a.m.
On “Armies,” the album by the Portland duo of the same name, the vocals are as closely intertwined as tree roots. At times, they are hard to parse apart. They weave around each other, sometimes in harmony, sometimes in unity. Those voices are the centerpiece, of course, of what may …
on Sept. 11, 2015, at 1:44 p.m.
Waterfront Concerts announced on Friday that comedian Dave Chappelle will perform a third show in Maine on Wednesday, Sept. 23, at the Collins Center for the Arts at the University of Maine in Orono. Tickets for the show go on sale tomorrow, Sept. 12, at noon, via Ticketmaster. Chappelle’s Orono …
on Sept. 10, 2015, at 1:47 p.m.
1. Too much to talk about this weekend, so let’s just get right to it, shall we? Friday night in Downtown Bang Bang, there’s Stripped With Sam night at Nocturnem Drafthaus with host Sam Chase and songwriters Carleigh Nesbit and Shannon Denbow; David Raitt and the Main Line are at …
on Sept. 08, 2015, at 12:16 p.m.
How many Maine albums has Sara Hallie Richardson sung guest vocals on in the past two years? I don’t have an exact count, but I would imagine it is close to ten, if not more, on albums from artists as varied in genre as the r&b-indie rock of KGFREEZE and …
By Emily Burnham on Sept. 04, 2015, at 6:36 a.m.
Although her work life now deals in flour, sugar, butter and eggs, Basant G. Paradis hasn’t forgotten her roots as a chemist. In fact, the baking she does at her new Bangor business, Cake Concoctions on Water Street in downtown Bangor, is its own kind of sweet science.
on Sept. 03, 2015, at 12:44 p.m.
1. See? One of the hottest weeks of the year is in September, y’all. You can’t tell me summer is over, because it’s not. It’s just not. Start your weekend off in the Bangor area with one of several Friday night events, including Bill Barnes Jazz at Nocturnem Drafthaus, rockers …
on Sept. 01, 2015, at 11:19 a.m.
State Theatre, Portland (Tickets available via Ticketmaster) Sept. 14, Queensryche Sept. 15, Passion Pit (rescheduled from canceled date) Sept. 16, Aer and Cody Simpson Sept. 17, All Time Low, Set It Off and Nova Rockefeller Sept. 18, …
on Aug. 27, 2015, at 11:37 a.m.
1. I’m sorry I didn’t post last week! I was on vacation in lovely Atlantic Canada. Mainers need to visit the Maritimes more. We really do. Anyway, I”m back just in time to wave a tearful goodbye to August and to welcome in American Folk Festival weekend, our beloved yearly …