Cocaine use and alcohol intoxication were listed as the primary causes that led to the death of a 19-year-old woman whose body was found in a snowbank in Orono earlier this month, officials said.
Alexie Adams died accidentally of acute intoxication from a combination of the substances, Mark Belserene, administrator in the state medical examiner’s office, said Monday. Acute intoxication is different from poisoning because it refers to a large amount of a substance being ingested in a short period of time, he said.
Hypothermia also was a contributing factor in her death, Belserene said, as temperatures dipped into the single digits the night she died.
Adams’ body was found by a passer-by on Colburn Drive on Saturday, Feb. 3. Police earlier said Adams visited numerous locations the night before with friends in Orono but became separated with them later in the evening.
Adams moved to Orono from Tehachapi, California, last January with her family.
Follow the Bangor Daily News on Facebook for the latest Maine news.