May 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Vintage Finery

Bangor man pleads guilty to manslaughter in strangulation death of girlfriend

Linda Coan O'Kresik | BDN
Linda Coan O'Kresik | BDN
David Coon
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Superior Court judge Wednesday accepted a local man’s guilty plea to manslaughter in connection with the asphyxiation death of the man’s girlfriend last May.

Justice Ann Murray found David Coon, 50, of Bangor guilty of the crime.

The hearing Wednesday was the continuation of a Jan. 2 proceeding at which Murray declined to accept Coon’s plea after he denied touching Sherry Clifford’s throat.

Coon entered a so-called Alford plea. An Alford plea, named for the U.S. Supreme Court case North Carolina vs. Alford and decided in 1970, is “a guilty plea that a defendant enters as part of a plea bargain, without actually admitting guilt,” according to Black’s Law Dictionary.

Defense attorney Jeffrey Silverstein of Bangor told the judge Jan. 2 that his client does not remember all that happened the night Clifford died but did tell police he covered her mouth with his hands. He also told police his hands might have slid to her neck, according to court documents.

Originally charged with murder, Coon pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter in a plea agreement with the Maine attorney general’s office, which prosecutes homicides.

Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson, who is prosecuting the case, said earlier this month that his office had a plea agreement with Coon. Benson said he would recommend Coon be sentenced to 25 years in prison with all but 12 years suspended, followed by four years of probation. Silverstein and co-counsel Logan Perkins would be free to argue for less time at sentencing, when the murder charge would be dismissed.

The sentence for a murder conviction is 25 years to life in prison. The maximum sentence for manslaughter is 30 years. Coon has been held without bail since his arrest May 6. A sentencing date has not been set.

Police on May 3 found Clifford, 49, dead on the floor of the Jefferson Street apartment the couple shared in Bangor after Coon called 911 to report that “she OD’d or she drank herself to the death,” the affidavit said.

Coon told police May 3 that Clifford had “freaked out” and attacked him. He admitted that he “pinned Clifford to the floor and she told him that she could not breathe,” the affidavit said. “Coon stated that Clifford died while pinned to the floor. Coon said that he had covered Clifford’s mouth with his hand to quiet her.”

Clifford was a native of Bangor and owned a hair salon in the area for at least eight years.

Dr. Mark Flomenbaum, deputy chief medical examiner, determined that Clifford’s death was “caused by asphyxiation with some neck compression,” according to the affidavit filed when Coon was arrested.

“Flomenbaum discovered hemorrhaging in the neck region just under the jaw bone,” it said. “There was also hemorrhaging around Clifford’s hyoid bone.”

The hyoid bone is the U-shaped bone at the base of the tongue.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like