YARMOUTH, Maine — Firefighters went to the scene of a home fire initially believed to be a propane tank explosion early Wednesday afternoon in Yarmouth, according to Portland ABC television affiliate WMTW 8.
The television station reported that charring occurred on the side of the 527 Ledge Road home where the incident occurred.
Portland NBC television affiliate WCSH 6 later reported that the fire started on the house and then spread to the propane tank, but was extinguished within 20 minutes.
The part of the home where the fire began was an addition under construction, according to WMTW.
Wednesday’s incident comes less than a year after two other Maine homes were destroyed and a third heavily damaged by propane explosions.
In February of last year, a Bluff Road duplex in Bath was reduced to debris and a 64-year-old resident was killed by such an eruption. About four months later, another Yarmouth home — on Gables Drive — was leveled and its neighboring residence significantly damaged in a second fatal case.
A 66-year-old resident was killed in the previous Yarmouth explosion.
No injuries have been reported as a result of Wednesday’s incident.