June 19, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | John Bapst | GNP Bankruptcy | Family Separations

Bangor police busy with New Year’s Eve revelers

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Two separate New Year’s Eve revelers who would not stop yelling and swearing — even after police warned them to cease or be arrested — were placed into handcuffs, Bangor police Sgt. Cathy Rumsey said Wednesday.

A “very intoxicated” Samantha Broy, 22, of Orono was found “screaming and cursing” downtown just before midnight as people walked by heading to the ball drop, the sergeant said.

“She said she had been assaulted, but just kept screaming and cursing and didn’t answer the officer’s questions,” Rumsey said. “She grabbed the officer and then started pounding on his cruiser.”

She was arrested by Officer Jeremy Brock for disorderly conduct and taken to Penobscot County Jail and later made bail, the sergeant said.

A female friend of Broy told police that the two had been together and she was “drunk but hadn’t been assaulted,” Rumsey said, adding there was no signs of any injury on Broy.

The second holiday reveler was arrested about an hour after the bars had closed early New Year’s Day for refusing to stop being disorderly, police said.

Three young men, including Michael Somers, 25, of Bangor attempted to get into the Ipanema Bar & Grill, but the door was locked. An employee went to the door and said they were closed and one of the three men kicked the door, breaking its window, Rumsey said.

“They couldn’t determine who kicked the door so they were told to leave,” the sergeant said.

Somers was told repeatedly by Officer Keith Larby that he could leave but Somers continued to “yell and swear at the officer and wouldn’t leave,” Rumsey said.

He was arrested for disorderly conduct and taken to the county lockup. He also was released on bail later in the day, the sergeant said.

A third person was arrested early on New Year’s Day for two domestic violence charges after dispatchers heard him threatening a woman, Rumsey said.

Officer Kyle Pelkey arrested Anthony Council, 26, for domestic violence assault shortly after 3 a.m., and when he was taking Council to his police cruiser, Council threatened the woman verbally saying “she would die” for calling police and he then was charged with domestic violence terrorizing, the sergeant said.

The three arrests were only part of a busy holiday for Bangor police officers.

Rumsey said that between the hours of 4 p.m. Dec. 31 and 6 a.m. Jan. 1 Bangor police “had 56 calls for service. Rumsey said in an email that the calls included two car accidents, two assault complaints, two loud party complaints and more than 10 disorderly conduct or fighting complaints.

In addition to Broy, Somers and Council, three others were arrested on outstanding warrants, she said.

Bangor officers also conducted 54 traffic stops and two people were arrested for drunken driving. “We had extra patrols on the roads looking for impaired drivers,” Rumsey said. “We had two OUIs last night and three on the 28th.”

The two OUI enforcement details tapped funds Bangor Police Department received from the Bureau of Highway Safety’s Drive Sober Maine campaign, she said.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like