Orono man accused of murdering Glenburn teen indicted in gun theft

Posted July 24, 2013, at 12:55 p.m.
Last modified July 24, 2013, at 6:34 p.m.
Kyle Dube
Kyle Dube

BANGOR, Maine — An Orono man facing murder and kidnapping charges in connection with the death of a 15-year-old girl from Glenburn was indicted on felony burglary and theft charges by the Penobscot County grand jury Wednesday after reportedly stealing a gun from a Kenduskeag home in January.

Kyle Dube, 20, was charged with the break-in last week while being held at the Penobscot County Jail awaiting his murder trial, according to Penobscot County Deputy Chief Troy Morton.

Dube was charged with murder in May in connection with the death of Nichole Cable, a teenage girl from Glenburn and Alton who last was seen alive on Mother’s Day. The two knew each other and were together the night before her death. Cable died of asphyxiation from compression of her neck, according the state medical examiner’s office.

Dube is accused of luring Cable out of her mother’s home by using someone else’s identity on Facebook, then killing her in what he claimed was an abduction gone wrong. Her body was found late May 20 in a wooded area in Old Town after Dube’s girlfriend and brother told police where Dube reportedly said he had left Cable covered with sticks.

He was indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury in May on kidnapping and murder charges. Dube pleaded not guilty on June 19 to both charges.

Also in June, members of the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from Maine State Police and Orono Police Department, searched Dube’s residence in Orono looking for property stolen during the Kenduskeag burglary.

“During the search, a sheriff’s office K-9 located one of the stolen firearms from the Kenduskeag burglary, along with other items that matched the description of property stolen from a separate residential burglary being investigated by the Maine State Police,” Morton said last week.

Dube faces Class B burglary and Class B theft by unauthorized taking charges in connection with the break-in.

A Superior Court justice in June granted a defense motion for Dube to undergo a psychiatric evaluation to determine whether he is competent to stand trial. No date for that evaluation has been scheduled, a representative from the office of Dube’s defense attorney Stephen Smith said Wednesday.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business