June 20, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Attorney: Falmouth man who allegedly killed mother hears voices

By theforecaster, Special to the BDN

PORTLAND, Maine — The attorney representing a Falmouth man who is accused of shooting his mother to death told the court Monday that his client is hearing voices in his head.

Andrew Leighton, 46, is facing a murder charge for the death of his mother, 68-year-old Shirley Leighton. Andrew Leighton was taken into custody late Friday night after a nearly five-hour standoff at the home he shared with his parents on Edgewater Drive in Falmouth.

Leighton made his first appearance Monday afternoon at the Cumberland County Unified Criminal Court in Portland. He entered the courtroom in yellow jail-issued clothes, unshaven with hands and ankles shackled. He was visibly shaking during the appearance.

Attorney Robert LeBrasseur told Superior Court Justice William Broderick his client is hearing voices in his head, and must undergo a psychological evaluation before his case proceeds in court.

Broderick said an arraignment date will be scheduled pending that evaluation, and that Leighton will be held without bail in the meantime.

Leighton reportedly surrendered to police at 11 p.m. Friday after a standoff that began about 6 p.m. at the home he shared with his parents. The body of Shirley Leighton was found in the living room, state police said.

Andrew Leighton was taken Friday night to Maine Medical Center in Portland for evaluation, and was transported to Cumberland County Jail early Saturday morning.

The shooting was first reported by Andrew Leighton’s father, Thomas Leighton, 71, when he returned to the house Friday afternoon after walking his dog, police said.

Falmouth Police Officer John Kilbride said Saturday that police evacuated nearby homes on both sides of the street during the standoff, and that the Cumberland County tactical team of the sheriff’s department was deployed to set up negotiations with the suspect.

State police detectives were at the home through the night, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said.

BDN Portland Bureau Chief Seth Koenig contributed to this story.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like