CENTERVILLE, Maine — A Saturday morning fire destroyed a single family home at 843 Centerville Road, according to David Perham, chief of the Columbia Falls Fire Department.
No one was injured in the blaze but conditions were challenging due to the blizzard conditions, Perham said Sunday night.
The Crocker family, which included two adults and three children, were staying at a neighbor’s home when crews arrived, Perham said. The fire chief did not have first names of any family members but believed the children were the grandchildren of the adults.
The fire was reported at 7:16 a.m., according to Perham. Crews from Columbia Falls and Addison arrived simultaneously.
“Getting there probably was the most challenging part of fighting the fire,” Perham said. “There were whiteout conditions on the road and very heavy drifts. I didn’t see any sign of smoke until we were almost to the house.”
When firefighters arrived, the 1½-story home with a breezeway to an attached garage was fully engaged. The family had escaped with one of two cats, Perham said.
“We found the other cat wandering around outside the house,” he said. “We put it in the truck to warm it up. It seemed OK but it was pretty singed.”
Perham said no other homes were in danger from the blaze.
Crews were on the scene until about 11 a.m., he said.
The fire chief said that family members had told him that they believed the cause of the fire was a space heater in the breezeway.
Columbia Falls was assisted by firefighters from Addison, Harrington, Columbia and Jonesboro and a crew from Pleasant River Ambulance Service.
Perham praised the efforts of County Concrete, whose plows kept the roads cleared for firetrucks and firefighters, and a Bangor Hydro repairman who arrived quickly to shut off power to the burning house.