June 20, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Immigration | Lumber Market | RCV Ballots

Brewer woman to serve 9 months for fatal hit-and-run in Bangor

Penobscot County Jail | BDN
Penobscot County Jail | BDN
Patricia Giles
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Brewer woman was sentenced Tuesday at the Penobscot Judicial Center to three years in prison with all but nine months suspended in connection with a fatal hit-and-run on Bangor’s Main Street in June.

Patricia Giles, 52, pleaded guilty just before sentencing to leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death, a Class C felony, and falsifying physical evidence, a misdemeanor, according Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County.

She began serving her sentence at the Penobscot County Jail immediately, he said late Tuesday afternoon.

In addition to jail time, Superior Court Justice William Anderson sentenced Giles to two years of probation. Conditions of probation include not driving for six months and substance abuse counseling, Roberts said.

The plea agreement between Roberts and Giles’ attorney, Zachary Brandmeir of Bangor, called for her to be sentenced to three years in prison with all but nine months suspended on the felony charge and a concurrent sentence of 90 days on the misdemeanor charge, according to Roberts.

“This was a just outcome because we had evidence that she caused the accident but no evidence that by staying at the scene the outcome of the accident would have changed,” Roberts said Tuesday afternoon.

Giles was indicted June 27 by the Penobscot County grand jury.

She had been free on $10,000 unsecured bail since pleading not guilty to the charge in September.

Giles faced up to five years in prison on the felony charge.

By pleading guilty, she admitted that she struck Joshua R. Constantine, 37, of Bangor, a longtime employee of a downtown business, as he crossed Main Street near the entrance to Shaw’s supermarket around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, June 2.

Constantine, an employee of Herbal Tea & Tobacco, was killed instantly.

Giles’ silver 2000 Pontiac Bonneville didn’t stop and didn’t brake, Roberts said in September.

Giles surrendered to police on June 13 as part of an agreement with the district attorney’s office, according to a previously published report.

Roberts said in June that Giles was not indicted for manslaughter because there was no proof she was criminally negligent when she struck Constantine.

Maine law defines manslaughter as “recklessly, or with criminal negligence, caus[ing] the death of another human being.”

Giles was headed home from being in the Main Street area of Bangor during a waterfront concert but did not purchase a ticket for the show, the prosecutor said.

A few weeks after the accident, the Bangor Public Works Department installed a crosswalk and a pedestrian signal at Patten Street, the entrance to Shaw’s.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like