June 24, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

No one injured when truck catches fire with Bowdoin family, dog inside

By Beth Brogan, BDN Staff

TOPSHAM, Maine — A Bowdoin family and their dog escaped injury Sunday evening when their pickup truck burst into flames beneath electrical wires on Meadow Road near the Topsham-Bowdoin line.

Dakota D’Orio, 16, was driving with a learner’s permit on Meadow Road just after 5 p.m. today when his family’s 1997 GMC Sierra pickup truck caught fire, Topsham Police Officer Troy Garrison said at the scene.

“They knew it had gas leak between the cab and the pickup body,” Garrison said. “It caught fire while he was driving it.”

D’Orio, whose parents, Stanley and Diane D’Orio also were in the truck, along with their dog, pulled off the road, under electrical wires.

Bowdoin, Bowdoinham and Topsham firefighters arrived at the scene and doused the flames within about 15 minutes, Bowdoin Fire Chief Tom Garrepy said.

The overhead wires were not involved.

No injuries were reported. The truck was a total loss.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like