June 24, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Three workers injured after falling 18 feet when Belmont roof collapses

Abigail Curtis | BDN
Abigail Curtis | BDN
A roof collapse Monday morning at a construction site at Belmont Boatworks injured three workers, though none seriously, according to police.
By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff

BELMONT, Maine — Three construction workers were injured Monday morning after the boat storage structure they were building collapsed around them and they fell at least 18 feet.

“Everyone’s OK,” Trooper Bethany Robinson of the Maine State Police said Monday, adding all injuries were not considered life-threatening. “It was very fortunate that everyone’s OK.”

The worst injury appeared to be a man who suffered a possible broken leg, she said. The accident happened a little after 9 a.m. at Belmont Boatworks Inc., located on Route 3, where the construction crew from Warren & Warren Associates of Liberty were working on an addition to the business.

Workers had installed roof trusses for the new boat storage facility last week, and four or five construction workers were building the rest of the roof Monday morning, according to Bud Steeves of Belmont Boatworks.

He had been at work in the adjacent office when he heard the noise of the collapsing structure.

“The trusses came down and took the end wall with it,” he said.

Robinson said that there might have been a domino effect at work as the trusses collapsed, and the men fell along with the trusses. She said that the height of the structure was 35 feet but Steeves said that it is more like 18 feet.

Maine State Police responded to the accident, along with Belmont Fire and Rescue and the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office. Two men were taken to the hospital by ambulance and another was transported in a private vehicle.

Later Monday, the construction site looked more like a giant game of pick-up sticks, as the ground was littered with piles of wooden trusses from the collapsed roof structure.

“We came into work and were just as surprised as anybody else,” Steeves said. “Who expects that kind of thing to happen?”

Robinson said that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration is going to investigate the accident.

Efforts Monday to speak with an official at Warren & Warren were unsuccessful.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like