May 26, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Bangor Day Trips | Center for Wildlife

2 men charged in separate motorcycle chases in Hancock County

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

ELLSWORTH, Maine — Two men are facing charges after separate motorcycle chases Friday in neighboring towns.

In Lamoine, Hancock County Sheriff’s Deputy Chris Sargent was on Route 204 around 7 a.m. Friday when he encountered a motorcycle traveling at 111 mph in a 45 mph zone.

The motorcycle operator initially refused to stop after being signaled to do so by Sargent, according to a sheriff’s department incident summary report, but a short time later stopped on Buttermilk Road in Lamoine.

The operator, Mark Condon, 29, of Lamoine, was arrested on charges of eluding an officer and exceeding the speed limit by 30 mph or more.

Another motorcycle driver is accused of leading police on a chase Friday evening after he allegedly struck a vehicle in Bar Harbor and then fled.
According to police, Brandon Brown, 24, of Franklin crashed his motorcycle in Trenton as he tried to avoid being apprehended.

The initial accident occurred in Bar Harbor at the intersection of Eden and West streets at around 5 p.m. Friday, according to Bar Harbor police Officer Soren Sundberg. Brown was suspected of driving under the influence, Sundberg said, but was long gone by the time the accident was reported and local police arrived at the scene. He said the driver of the other vehicle, a local resident whom he declined to identify, was not injured.

Other law enforcement agencies were provided with a description of the motorcycle and, a short time later, Trooper Greg Roy of Maine State Police saw Brown heading north on Route 3 in Trenton near the Acadia Gateway Center.

Roy said Saturday morning that Brown sped off when Roy turned to stop him. The chase lasted for two miles before Brown lost control of the bike, laying it over on its side as he tried to turn onto Route 204.

“He reached speeds well over 100 mph during the chase,” Roy said.

The trooper pulled up next to Brown after Brown crashed at the intersection of routes 3 and 204, but still Brown tried to right the motorcycle and to get away, Roy said.

“I had to physically remove him from the bike as he tried to leave,” the trooper said.

The Kawasaki motorcycle had visible signs of damage both from the accident in Bar Harbor and from sliding out of control on Route 3, Roy said.
Brown was not wearing a helmet during the accidents or chase, he said.

Brown is facing a host of criminal counts as a result of the incident, according to Roy.

He was arrested and charged by Maine State Police with operating a motor vehicle under the influence of intoxicants, refusing to submit to a chemical test, eluding an officer, criminal speed, operating a motor vehicle without insurance, operating an unregistered vehicle, driving to endanger, refusing to submit to arrest and having an expired inspection sticker. He also was summoned by Bar Harbor Police Department with leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, he said.

Brown was transported from the Trenton accident scene to Maine Coast Memorial Hospital, where he was treated Friday evening for road rash, cuts and scrapes. From there, he was taken to Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth, where he remained Saturday morning, Roy said.

Follow BDN reporter Bill Trotter on Twitter at @billtrotter.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like