May 21, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Concussions | Maine Media College | Boston Red Sox

Houlton man sentenced to serve three years in prison on drug trafficking charges

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

HOULTON, Maine — A 41-year-old Houlton man will spend the next few years in prison after he was convicted and sentenced on two counts of unlawful trafficking of scheduled drugs.

Paul Folsom III pleaded guilty to both charges Wednesday in Aroostook County Superior Court before Justice E. Allen Hunter. He was arrested in September 2010 by members of the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency and indicted two months later.

As part of a plea agreement, Folsom was sentenced to eight years in prison with all but three years suspended and a $1,000 fine on the first count. He was given a three-year concurrent sentence along with a $1,000 fine on the second count.

He also was sentenced to three years of probation with numerous conditions, including that he refrain from using or possessing drugs and alcohol, submit to random search and testing, and undergo substance abuse treatment. He also must pay $10 per month as a probation supervision fee.

Aroostook County Assistant District Attorney Kurt Kafferlin said Wednesday that MDEA agents received a tip from a cooperating individual in September 2010 that Folsom was his methamphetamine supplier. The cooperating individual set up a meeting with Folsom in the parking lot of a local grocery store. Folsom sold the individual methamphetamine tablets and was paid $500. The sale was recorded by MDEA agents. Folsom and the cooperating individual also made arrangements to meet the next day. They again met in the parking lot of a local grocery store and Folsom sold the individual more methamphetamine. He was arrested a short time later and indicted by the grand jury last November.

Kafferlin said that he agreed to the plea deal because Folsom provided information to the MDEA.

Folsom told the judge that he took responsibility for his actions and had gotten “mixed up with the wrong people.” He began substance abuse treatment before his sentencing.

“I have changed my life around,” said Folsom. “I moved out of town. Hopefully, I’ve gotten my head on straight.”

Hunter asked Folsom about his family, and Folsom said that he had children and a granddaughter.

“Do you expect that she should be able to go through life being protected from people who would seek to poison her with drugs?” Hunter asked.

Folsom responded that he did.

The judge said in court that the area was losing a significant amount of its young people because of drugs and warned Folsom that he would be sent back to jail to serve the remainder of his eight-year sentence if he did not follow his probation.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like