May 27, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | George HW Bush | Memorial Day | Long Creek

Bangor man in standoff guilty of firearms charge

John Clarke Russ | BDN
John Clarke Russ | BDN
A U.S. Marine Corps flag, a P.O.W-M.I.A. flag, a no trespass sign and dog warning were seen at this 751 Main Street home in Bangor late Sunday morning, Oct. 24, 2010. Police closed down part of Main Street as well as part of the neighborhood near the home during a standoff with a man inside the home Saturday evening, Oct. 23, 2010. Just after midnight Sunday, the Special Response Team fired tear gas into the house and arrested the man. He was transported to Eastern Maine Medical Center for evaluation.
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The armed man who held police at bay during a six-hour standoff at his lower Main Street home last October most likely will spend time behind bars for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

A federal jury on Tuesday found Domingos Nobrega, 34, guilty of being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition. His trial in U.S. District Court in Bangor began Monday in Judge John Woodcock’s courtroom and ended late Tuesday with the jury’s verdict.

Nobrega, who legally changed his name from Shawn Alan Nobrega, had two prior felony  convictions and was therefore prohibited from possessing firearms, Assistant U.S. Attorney James L. McCarthy said in a statement.

“Testimony and evidence admitted at trial revealed that in 2003, Nobrega was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon upon a government officer (in North Carolina) and in 2004, assault and battery on a police officer (in Virginia), both felonies,” he said.

“Nobrega faces a sentence of up to 10 years imprisonment, up to a $250,000 fine, or both, and up to 3 years supervised release,” he also said.

Nobrega is being detained by federal officials pending his sentencing, McCarthy said.

Court documents show that Nobrega’s girlfriend had previously purchased three guns, including the one Bangor police officers saw in his hands on Oct. 23, 2010, during the standoff at his home, near the Hampden town line.

Police officers went to 751 Main St. around 6 p.m. to deal “with a despondent, suicidal male,” after Nobrega’s girlfriend went to the Bangor Police Department to report his unusual behavior and his access to weapons, court documents state.

As a precaution, area residents and at least one nearby business were evacuated, and Main Street between Thatcher Street and Cold Brook Road in Hampden was blocked off to traffic. While Bangor Police Department’s Special Response Team secured the area, a crisis negotiator made contact with Nobrega.

The incident ended about 12:30 a.m. the next day, Oct. 24, when members of the Special Response Team shot tear gas into his home, forcing Nobrega to leave the residence and turn himself in.

Nobrega was taken to Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center in Bangor and arrested a few days later as he was being released, according to federal officials.

Special Agent Kenneth Stengel of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives discovered a loaded 9mm Glock handgun with 17 rounds and “one in the chamber” under Nobrega’s bed and other bullets that totaled 150 ammunition rounds in the house.

Nobrega pleaded not guilty to the charges against him in November.

Nobrega, who operates a disc jockey service called Alpha Nations Inc., will be sentenced for the federal firearms crime later this year. He also faces a similar charge in state court. The maximum penalty for the crime under Maine law is five years and a fine of $5,000.

The light-green house where Nobrega resided sits beside a railroad bridge and at the time of the standoff had a sign that threatened to prosecute trespassers, including “Bangor PD, B.P.D. Snitch, Maine State PD, U.S. Border Patrol, Forest Service, F.B.I, D.E.A, C.I.A, Home Land Security, T.S.A, F.A and any and all U.S. agencies not list [sic] on here.”

Under the list was an additional note: “Patriots live on this land and own it!!! So piss off we will not be your slaves!!!”

Hanging on the front of the home were a Marine Corps flag, a POW-MIA flag and an American flag. All three flags and the two handwritten signs are now gone, but the home still has a no trespassing sign.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like