June 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Bangor man in standoff arrested; handgun recovered

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The Bangor man who caused a six-hour standoff on lower Main Street that ended early Sunday when police took him into custody has a criminal history that includes a felony conviction for assaulting a Virginia police officer, authorities said.

Shawn “Dominic” Nobrega, 34, was apprehended around 12:30 a.m. Sunday after the Bangor Police Department’s Special Response Team shot tear gas into his home. He later was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm, Sgt. Paul Edwards said Monday.

“There was at least one firearm recovered, … a handgun,” he said.

Police officers went to 751 Main St. around 6 p.m. Saturday to deal “with a despondent, suicidal male,” a press release from the Bangor Police Department said.

As a precaution, area residents and at least one nearby business were evacuated, and Main Street between Thatcher Street and Cold Brook Road in Hampden was blocked off to traffic. While the Special Response Team secured the area, a crisis negotiator made contact with Nobrega, Edwards said.

Negotiations were conducted but didn’t result in the suspect turning himself in, he said.

Nobrega, who operates a disc jockey service called Alpha Nations Inc., recently moved into the house and lives there with his girlfriend, Edwards said. Police were notified of a problem at the house on Saturday when she came to the police station, he said.

Nobrega’s criminal history includes an arrest for assault and battery of a police officer on Dec. 24, 2002, in Pittsylvania County, Va., and a May 22, 2003, arrest on a charge of carrying a concealed weapon.

He was convicted of assaulting the police officer in February 2004 and sentenced a month later, on March 3, 2004, Dwight Rudd, assistant commonwealth’s attorney for Pittsylvania County, said Monday.

“He received a five-year sentence with four years and six months suspended,” he said. “It is a felony [to commit] assault and battery on a police officer.”

The concealed weapon charge was dismissed, Rudd said.

Nobrega unsuccessfully appealed his conviction in Virginia, according to court documents from that state.

He also sued the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office in March 2005, “challenging the legality of his conviction” and asked for $200,000 in damages. In April 2005, he sued the county jail for unspecified damages, claiming that “the jail only serves fried and greasy food,” according to Virginia court documents. Both court cases were dismissed.

The light green house where Nobrega resides sits beside a railroad bridge and has a sign that threatens to prosecute trespassers, including “Bangor PD, B.P.D. Snitch, Maine State PD, U.S. Border Patrol, Forest Service, F.B.I, D.E.A, C.I.A, Home Land Security, T.S.A, F.A and any and all U.S. agencies not list [sic] on here.”

Under the list was an additional note: “Patriots live on this land and own it!!! So piss off we will not be your slaves!!!”

Hanging on the front of the home were a Marine Corps flag, a POW-MIA flag and an American flag.

After the standoff ended, Nobrega was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor for an evaluation and remained in the hospital late Monday afternoon, Edwards said.

Nobrega has an alias, Dominic Nobrega, and at least two birth dates listed in police databases, Edwards said. Bangor police charged him with possession of a firearm by a felon, which is a Class C felony. If convicted of the crime, Nobrega could face a penalty of up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

The investigation is continuing and Nobrega may face additional charges, the sergeant said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like