BURLINGTON, Vt. – Scoring four unanswered goals to open the game, the No. 18 UMaine field hockey team cruised past UC Davis 7-1 on Sunday afternoon at Moulton-Winder Field. The Black Bears (7-0) now need just one win to match their best start in program history.
Maine’s seven goals came from six different Black Bears, as Libby Riedl led Maine with two scores. Emliy Hindle, Nina Keur, Casey Crowley, Lydia Gavner and Samantha Wagg also found the back of the net for Maine. Crowley, Brianna Ricker and Riley Field all recorded an assist. Shannon Wong tallied the lone goal for the Aggies (4-5) in the 30th minute.
In the cage, Mia Borley earned her seventh consecutive victory for the Black Bears. Chelsea. Bigelow made six saves for the Aggies in the loss.
MAINE GAME NOTES AND HIGHLIGHTS
- The Black Bears outshot UC Davis by an impressive mark of 19-2, allowing the Aggies just a single shot in each half.
- On penalty corners, Maine was awarded five, while UC Davis earned one in the first half.
- With the win, Maine improves to 2-0 all-time over UC Davis.
- Maine has now out-scored the opposition by a mark of 33-7 on the season.
- With two goals, Riedl is now eight points away from 100 career points.
- The Black Bears have scored at least five goals in three consecutive games for the first time since they accomplished the feat against Holy Cross, Fairfield and Hofstra in the 2011 season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 1:30 | It didn’t take long for Maine to get on the scoreboard, as Riedl shot deflected off the goalkeeper’s blocker and into the net.
- 12:26 | Off of a penalty corner, Emily Hindle redirected a shot past the diving goalkeeper
- 19:00 | Keur’s third career goal came happened next when Brianna Ricker dribbled up the right sideline, making a move past the defender before setting up Keur in front of the net for the score.
- 26:13 | Crowley accepted a pass from Riedl and the fired a shot in front of a crowded net, which slid past the goalkeeper.
- 30:56 | UC Davis scored on a penalty corner, as Wong redirected the initial shot on goal from the pc.
- 43:08 | Maine countered on a penalty corner as well, as Riedl’s second goal beat the goalkeeper stick side.
- 62:47 | Crowley made a move past a defender, dribbling the ball up the right side of the field, before passing to Ricker, who passed back to Crowley, who found Gavner in front of an open net.
- 65:59 | On a penalty corner, Wagg belted a shot that was blocked, but gained possession and fired a shot that bounced into the back of the net.
- The Black Bears wrap up their seven game road trip next Friday when they head to Dedham Field on Friday to play Northeastern. Maine returns to the UMaine Field Hockey Complex for the first time in September on Sunday, Sept. 23 at 1:00 p.m. against nationally-ranked Harvard.