WATERVILLE, Maine — Colby College’s Julia Saul drove home the game-winning run in the eight inning opener, but University of Maine at Farmington’s Alyssa Dillan had a pair of doubles and drove in two runs in the nightcap to help the teams split a non-conference softball doubleheader Wednesday.
The Mules took a 2-1 win in the first game, while UMF bounced back for a 3-2 victory in the second contest.
Game 1 highlights
* Saul had two hits and her big RBI for the Mules. After Hailey Rohall was placed on second base in the bottom of the eighth inning, Saul hit her two-out single to bring her home for the win.
* Wiley Holton had an RBI double for the Mules (2-19 overall). Kathleen Mason and Carly Swartz both had one hit.
* Kayleigh Oberg had an RBI double to bring in UMF’s lone run. Kiana Thompson had walked in the opening inning and came around to score on Oberg’s double.
* Holton helped her own cause in the fourth inning. Hartnett had got on by error and took second base on a wild pitch. Holton’s RBI double tied the game.
* Holton worked all eight innings, allowed just four hits, struck out seven, and walked two.
* Leah Stevens, Dillan, and Callie Hammer also had hits for the Beavers.
* Kailyn Hill was a tough luck losing pitcher after working 7.2 innings and striking out five while walking none.