April 21, 2019
School Sports Latest News | Kenduskeag Race | Bangor Metro | Bangor Homelessness | Today's Paper

Merrimack College Women's College Hockey 5 at University of Maine 1

Game Time:
Add Score, Photos, or Highlights

FALMOUTH, Maine — The University of Maine women’s ice hockey team (6-3-0, 2-3-0 WHEA) dropped a 5-1 decision to Merrimack (7-1-2, 4-1-1) in front of a sellout crowd at the Family Ice Center on Friday evening.

Ali Beltz tallied the lone goal for Maine, her third of the season. The Black Bears held a slim 22-20 advantage in shots on net and finished the contest 0-for-5 on the power play.

Carly Jackson, who turned away nine shots in 31:40, took the loss in net, falling to 2-3-0 on the season. Loryn Porter relieved Jackson in net, giving up a pair of goals while making six saves in 27:19 of ice time.

Merrimack’s Samantha Ridgewell improved to 7-1-2 between the pipes after surrendering just one goal and making 21 saves in the victory.

Skating on the power play 4:07 into the first period, Merrimack was able to take an early 1-0 lead with the extra attacker. Dominique Kremer began the scoring when she found the back of the net off assists from Julia MacLean and Megan Fergusson.

The Warriors added another goal at 5:13 of the second period when Fergusson and Chloe Cook setup Felila Manu on her second tally of the season. The goal would be the first of three second period goals by Merrimack.

Cook gave Merrimack a 3-0 lead midway through the second. The Warriors’ second power play goal of the contest came with 12:02 left in the second off assists from Mikyla Grant-Mentis and Paige Sorensen.

Katelyn Rae’s eighth of the year came just over two minutes later, an unassisted tally which gave the Warriors a 4-0 advantage.

The Black Bears were able to get on the board at 11:31 of the third. Brittany Colton’s first assist of the season was joined by Celine Tedenby’s fifth help as the pair setup Ali Beltz who deposited the puck into the back of the net for her third of the year.

However, Merrimack’s Paige Voight had the answer just over three minutes later, regaining a four goal edge for the Warriors. Merrimack was able to cruise the rest of the way, locking up the 5-1 victory.

Maine returns to Alfond Arena on Sunday when it hosts Holy Cross in WHEA action at 2 p.m.

You may also like