October 18, 2019
School Sports Latest News | Nor'easter | Bangor Metro | Maine Factory | Today's Paper

Wesleyan Women's Lacrosse 9 vs Bates 8

Game Time:
Add Score, Photos, or Highlights
Bates College Wesleyan University
8 9

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. — The No. 13 nationally ranked Bates women’s lacrosse team scored the final four goals of regulation to force overtime but Wesleyan’s Abigail Horst found the back of the net with one minute remaining in the extra period to give the Cardinals a 9-8 win over the Bobcats Sunday afternoon.

Bates (1-1, 0-1 NESCAC) found themselves trailing 8-4 with 24:18 to go in the game after Wesleyan’s Rachel Aronow scored a free position goal.

But about a minute later Sydney Cowles (Wayne, Pa.) forced a turnover and picked up the ground ball. Following the turnover, sophomore Sydney Howard (Ashland, Mass.) connected with sophomore Katie Allard (Ridgewood, N.J.) to cut the deficit to three with 23:03 remaining.

The deficit remained three until junior Teal Otley (Cumberland, Maine) scored off a free position opportunity with 4:06 left. Senior Kaileigh Maguire (Sudbury, Mass.) won the ensuing draw control and less than a minute later junior Camille Belletete (Jaffrey, N.H.) found Allard to cut the Wesleyan lead to one.

The Cardinals called timeout with 3:27 left in the game and proceeded to hold on to their one goal lead until the Bobcats earned a free position opportunity with 24 seconds left in regulation.

Belletete passed the ball to Otley and Otley tallied the equalizer with just 17 seconds to go, forcing overtime.

Overtime proved to be a defensive struggle, with the two teams combining for only one shot for the first five minutes.

But with 1:16 in the extra period, the Cardinals (1-0, 1-0 NESCAC) earned a free position opportunity. 16 seconds later, Horst scored the game-winner.

Wesleyan goalkeeper Grace McCann had a big game, tallying 13 saves for the Cardinals. Meanwhile the Bobcats got off to a slow start. Wesleyan took a 4-1 lead through the first 15 minutes of action. The Bobcats’ only goal early on belonged to senior Drew Barry (Portland, Maine), who connected on a free position opportunity with 26:45 left in the first, tying the game at one at the time.

Trailing 4-1, Bates tallied their second goal of the contest when Maguire found Cowles off a free position with 9:47 to go in the first half.

Belletete scored an unassisted goal with 7:16 left to cut the Wesleyan lead to 4-3.

But the Cardinals scored the final three goals of the half to take a 7-3 lead over the Bobcats into halftime.

Belletete scored again less than three minutes in to the second half to trim the Wesleyan advantage to 7-4.

The Cardinals went back up by four before the big Bobcat rally forced the extra period.

Belletete, Allard and Ottley all scored twice for Bates. Belletete also dished out a pair of assists. Meanwhile, Horst, Abby Manning and Aronow all scored a pair of goals apiece for the Cardinals.

The Bobcats won the ground ball (13-7) and the turnover (13-25) battle. But Wesleyan won 13 draw controls with Bates winning only six on the day.

You may also like