January 29, 2020
School Sports Latest News | Klarissa Nye | Bangor Metro | Baxter Adventure | Today's Paper

Bates Men's college basketball 72 at Maine Maritime 69

Game Time:
Add Score, Photos, or Highlights
Bates College Maine Maritime Academy
72 69

CASTINE, Maine – Maine Maritime Academy men’s basketball fell in overtime to Bates College 72-69 on Sunday afternoon, in the final day of the Maine Maritime Tip-Off Tournament inside of Smith Gymnasium.

With their second-straight overtime loss the Mariners fall to 0-3 on the season, while the Bobcats improve to 1-1 overall. Maine Maritime returns to action after the Thanksgiving break on Tuesday, November 28, when they host UMaine-Farmington in the North Atlantic Conference (NAC) opener for both teams at 7:30 pm. The Bobcats will travel to Southern Maine this Tuesday, November 21 for a non-conference matchup at 7:30 pm.

The first half featured 10 lead changes and three ties, with Bates holding their biggest lead of the half, four points, twice. The Bobcats took a narrow 28-26 advantage into the halftime.

Nicholas DePatsy (Waldoboro, Maine) and Brendan Newcomb (Holden, Maine) led the Mariners with nine points each in the first half, while Jeff Spellman led the Bobcats with 13 points.

Bates held a lead early in the second half but the Mariners built a nine-point lead twice, once following seven-straight points from Adam Richardson (Bradley, Maine) at 10:46 and just a few moments later on a jumper by Newcomb. The Bobcats fought back to tie the game up for the sixth time and the two teams battled back-and-forth and ended regulation deadlocked at 59-59.

DePatsy splashed a three to open up overtime, but the Bobcats countered with a jumper from Spellman to keep the deficit at one. Richardson made a pair of shots at the line to give the Mariners a three-point advantage but Bates responded with two of their own at the line to keep the game within reach.

Riley Jorgenson (Vienna, Va.) hit a three to build the Maine Maritime lead to four, but the Bobcats responded on the other end to make it 67-65 with 2:35 to play.

Newcomb made a jumper for the Mariners to retake the four-point lead, but the Bobcats hit a three and a came up with a timely defensive rebound on the other end. Spellman hit a three to give the Bobcats’ their first lead of the overtime period. Bates came up with two defensive rebounds in the closing seconds and built up a 72-69 lead that the Mariners could not overcome.

Richardson tallied his first career triple-double with 18 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists to lead Maine Maritime and DePatsy also ended the afternoon with 18 points and added four rebounds, an assist and a steal. Newcomb contributed 13 points, four assists, two rebounds and a steal.

Spellman led all players with 24 points for Bates, while also adding five rebounds, a steal and an assist. Tom Coyne chipped in with 15 points, four assists, a steal and a rebound and Nick Gilpin finished the game with a double-double of 11 rebounds, 10 points, and also added five assists and two blocks.

The Mariners shot 36.9 percent from the floor, while the Bobcats shot 33.8 percent. The Bobcats held a 51-40 advantage in rebounds.

You may also like