WATERVILLE, Maine — Tom Coyne banked in back-to-back 3-point shots late in the game and scored a game-high 30 points to lead Bates College to an 82-79 non-conference win over Colby College on Saturday at Wadsworth Gymnasium.
Colby drops to 6-2 heading into the semester break, while the Bobcats improve to 5-2.
By the numbers
* Coyne was 11-for-16 from the field, 6-of-8 from 3-point range, made both of his free throws, and pulled down six rebounds.
* Jeff Spellman finished with 19 points for the Bobcats. Nick Gilpin added 10 points and a game-high six assists for the Bobcats, while teammate Nick Lynch also had 10 points.
* Matt Hanna had 16 of his team-high 23 points in the first half for Colby. He was 9-for-15 from the field, made four 3-point shots, pulled down seven rebounds, and had five assists.
* Dean Weiner, who played just 17 minutes due to foul trouble, still was 6-for-8 from the field for 13 points and blocked three shots. Sam Jefferson had 12 points and eight rebounds, Wallace Tucker scored 11, and Steven Daley had eight for the Mules.
* The Bobcats helped their own cause with just seven turnovers.
* The Mules were 6-for-14 from 3-point range in the first half in opening up a 44-37 halftime margin. Hanna was 6-for-7 from the field in the opening 20 minutes.
* Colby still led 56-47 after a Hanna layup with 14:11 to play. The Bobcats, though, went on a 14-4 run to take a 61-60 lead on a reverse by James Mortimer.
* With the score tied 70-70, Coyne banked in a 3-point shot from in front of the Bates bench with 3:30 to play. With time running down on the shot clock, Coyne nailed a 30-foot bank shot from the left side for a 76-70 margin.
* The Bobcats were up 80-71 when Colby made a spirited comeback. Ethan Schlager nailed a long 3-point shot with 6.8 seconds remaining to cut the margin to 82-79. Bates missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 4.6 seconds to go to give Colby a chance to tie. Schlager dribbled up the court, but his shot at the buzzer was blocked by Gilpin.