Spring brings green grass, warmer weather and the return of outdoor activities and sports. It is also a time when adverse weather conditions can happen in an instant. There were 1,522 tornadoes in the U.S. last year, according to NOAA’s Storm Prediction Center, which was the fifth-highest annual count on record and most since 2011.
Devices most people carry in their pocket or purse – smartphones – can help you keep an eye on the sky. After all, a recent U.S. Cellular survey indicated that 89 percent of smartphone owners use their device to check the weather forecast once a month or more.¹
In honor of Severe Weather Awareness Week April 30-May 4 in Maine, U.S. Cellular offers the following tips to help you track turbulent weather:
• Access Social Media – Social media sites, such as Facebook and Twitter, have become a preferred way to quickly get and share information. During severe weather, they can help provide real-time updates and keep you in contact with loved ones.
• Ample Accessories – An extra battery is ideal if you need to use your phone during a storm and can’t charge it. It’s also a good idea to carry a car charger, in case you lose power and are unable to charge a mobile device indoors.
• Check Weather, News Apps – The Weather Channel and AccuWeather have reliable and popular apps that provide weather updates anywhere. Local media outlets also have apps to ensure you will have the latest news at your fingertips.
• Prepare – You can share severe weather preparedness tips on social media using the hashtag #SevereWeatherPrep. Ready.gov encourages families to develop and practice an emergency plan. Residents should make a family emergency plan and be informed about emergency alerts.
• Text to Stay in Touch – Texting can be helpful during severe weather. If phone service is impacted because of a storm or high call volume, text messages could still go through because they require less network bandwidth than calls.
¹ Between Nov. 8-17, 2017, a total of 706 online interviews were conducted among a nationally representative sample by Consumer Insights, in partnership with Maritz CX.
About U.S. Cellular
U.S. Cellular is the fifth-largest full-service wireless carrier in the United States, providing national network coverage and industry-leading innovations designed to elevate the customer experience. For the fourth time in a row, U.S. Cellular has the Highest Wireless Network Quality Performance, according to J.D. Power’s twice-annual U.S. Wireless Network Quality Performance Study, and 99 percent of customers have access to 4G LTE speeds. To learn more about U.S. Cellular, visit one of its retail stores or www.uscellular.com. To get the latest news, promos and videos, connect with U.S. Cellular on Facebook.com/uscellular, Twitter.com/uscellular and YouTube.com/uscellularcorp.