November 18, 2019
Community News Latest News | Susan Collins | Bangor Metro | Marijuana Legalization | Today's Paper

Registration now open for Komen Maine’s Race for the Cure

Community Author:
Post Date:

BREWER, Maine — Today, Komen Maine, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® statewide affiliate, announced registration for their signature Race for the Cure events is open to race participants and volunteers. The 5K events, for both runners and walkers, will be held in Portland on Sunday, Sept. 14 and in Bangor on Sunday, Sept. 21.
Komen Maine’s purpose is to combat breast cancer through raising funds for breast health education, screening, treatment programs, and state and national research. Many of the funds are used for Maine women underinsured or uninsured. The money raised through the two annual Race for the Cure events will support this important mission.

“These are important events for our state with 75 percent of net funds remaining in Maine to fund breast cancer education, screening, and treatment programs, and the remaining 25 percent is invested in evidence-based breast cancer research,” said Victoria Abbott, Komen Maine’s acting executive director, in a press release.

The Portland race, starting in Payson Park, will begin with registration at 7:30 a.m. The Bangor race begins from the Bangor Waterfront where registration will also begin at 7:30 a.m. Each event will include a 9 a.m. survivor ceremony to recognize the women who have fought or are fighting breast cancer.

Volunteers are needed for all aspects to support the race, including assistance with registration, directing race participants through the course, and setup and cleanup of all materials and supplies.

Interested race participants and volunteers can sign up at http://www.komenmaine.org. To learn more about the race details or make a donation, visit the website.