Savannah Smith, 21, weeps during an appearance on a murder charge in the 2017 killing of 2-year-old Kloe Hawksley. Smith was the partner of Tyler Hawksley, the child’s father, at the time of the child’s death.  Credit: Nick Sambides | BDN

Click here for the latest coronavirus news, which the BDN has made free for the public. You can support our critical reporting on the coronavirus by purchasing a digital subscription or donating directly to the newsroom.

The murder trial of a Clifton man accused of shooting his girlfriend in the back with a 12-gauge shotgun has been delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

It is the eighth homicide trial in Maine to be postponed since March 14 when the pandemic began spreading more aggressively in the state.

Only one of those cases has been rescheduled so far.

The U.S. Constitution guarantees defendants the right to a speedy trial, but Maine law doesn’t define the length of time a trial may be delayed before a defendant’s right is violated.

The trial of Dwight Jay Osgood, 38, was set to begin June 23 at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor.

[image id=”2967495″ size=”full” pos=”center” /]

Osgood allegedly confessed to police that on Jan. 14, 2019, he killed Kary Dill, 35, of Clifton in the home they shared on Route 9 next to the Clifton General Store.

He pleaded not guilty in March 2019 to one count of murder. Osgood is being held without bail at the Penobscot County Jail.

Only one of Maine’s canceled homicide trials has been rescheduled.

The trial of Carine Reeves , 39, of New York City was scheduled to begin May 18 but has tentatively been reset for Aug. 24 at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

[image id=”2967496″ size=”full” pos=”center” /]

The case has been pending since a passing motorist found the body of Sally Shaw, 55, of New Gloucester on Route 193 in Cherryfield on July 19, 2017. The trial was delayed while New York charges against Reeves were resolved.

Reeves was returned to Maine in January. He has pleaded not guilty to the murder charge and is being held without bail at the Washington County Jail.

Shaw died of a single gunshot wound to the head, according to police affidavits. A .45 caliber casing was found about 6 feet from her body.

She allegedly drove for Reeves when he came to Maine to sell drugs.

Her rental car, which had front-end damage, was found about 11 miles from Shaw’s body at the intersection of Routes 193 and 9.

Quaneysha Greeley, 21, of Lewiston, who witnessed the slaying, was arrested with Reeves in New York a month after Shaw was killed.

Greeley was extradited immediately to Maine but Reeves remained in New York on an outstanding assault charge. Reeves was in a romantic relationship with both women, according to court documents.

In September 2018, Greeley pleaded guilty to one count each of hindering apprehension and conspiracy to distribute drugs. She is free on $2,500 bail with a condition of home confinement.

The trial of a Saco contractor charged with manslaughter also has been delayed. Shawn Purvis, 45, is accused of causing the death of his half-brother, Alan Loignon, 30, of Saco, who fell off a roof in Portland while working in December 2018. Purvis is accused of discouraging the use of safety equipment so his crews could finish jobs faster.

Other defendants whose murder trials have been delayed because of the COVID-19 epidemic include: Gage Dalphonse, 22, of Auburn, accused of shooting Jean Fournier, 41, of Turner in a Walmart parking lot last year; Savannah Smith, 22, of Bucksport, accused of killing 2-year-old Kloe Hawklsey in 2017; Rondon Athayde, 47, of Hartford, charged with killing his 41-year-old girlfriend, Ana Cordeiro, in December 2018; Austin McDevitt, 22, of Morrill, who drove himself to the Belfast police station in the early morning of March 15, 2019, in order to turn himself in after shooting 26-year-old Shane Sauer, a man with whom he shared a love interest; and Zachary Titus, 35, now an inmate at the Maine State Prison in Warren who is accused of slaying one of his cellmates, Dana Bartlett, 28, in a June 2018 fight over stolen cigarettes in their shared cell at the Bolduc Correctional Facility in Warren.

If convicted of murder, all defendants face between 25 years and life in prison. Purvis faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted of manslaughter.

Watch: Common myths about COVID-19

[bdnvideo id=”2961417″]