Click here for the latest coronavirus news, which the BDN has made free for the public. You can support our critical reporting on the coronavirus by purchasing a digital subscription or donating directly to the newsroom.
Another two Mainers have died from the new coronavirus as 31 more cases were confirmed Friday.
There are now 827 coronavirus cases spread across 15 of Maine’s counties, according to Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention Director Nirav Shah. That’s up from 796 on Thursday.
The latest deaths were both residents of Waldo County: one a woman in her 70s, the other a woman in her 80s, Shah said.
The statewide death toll now stands at 29.
So far, 133 Mainers have been hospitalized at some point with COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus. Of those, 55 people are currently in the hospital, with 28 in critical condition and eight on ventilators, Shah said.
The Maine CDC reports that 352 people have fully recovered from the coronavirus, meaning there are 475 active cases in the state at this time.
In total, 112 residents and 52 staff members have tested positive for COVID-19 at long-term care facilities with ongoing outbreaks throughout the state, Shah said.
Thirty-eight residents have tested positive for the virus at Tall Pines Retirement and Healthcare Community in Belfast, including 28 residents and 10 staff members. Five deaths have been reported at the facility.
At Augusta Center for Health and Rehabilitation, 46 residents and 24 staff members have confirmed cases. Two deaths have been reported so far.
Maine Veterans’ Homes in Scarborough has 42 cases, 28 residents and 14 staff members, of the coronavirus. The facility has recorded two deaths.
Three residents and one staff member have tested positive at Falmouth by the Sea.
And at The Cedars in Portland, seven residents and three staff members have confirmed cases.
A majority of the cases have been in Mainers over age 50, while they are almost evenly split between women and men, according to the Maine CDC.
Another 14,076 people have tested negative for the coronavirus, according to the Maine CDC.
Friday’s increase in confirmed cases comes a day after Gov. Janet Mills signed an executive order pausing some evictions as some residential and commercial tenants struggle to pay rent amid the economic downturn brought on by the global pandemic. The Democratic governor on Tuesday extended her civil state of emergency declaration through May 15. That doesn’t yet affect her separate stay-at-home order that is in place until at least April 30.
The coronavirus has hit hardest in Cumberland County, where 360 cases have been confirmed and where the bulk of deaths from the virus have been concentrated. It is one of four counties — Androscoggin, Penobscot and York, with 32, 40 and 170 cases, respectively — where “community transmission” has been confirmed, according to the Maine CDC.
There are two criteria for establishing community transmission: at least 10 confirmed cases and that at least 25 percent of those are not connected to either known cases or travel. That second condition has not yet been “satisfied” in other counties.
[iframe url=”https://flo.uri.sh/visualisation/1882226/embed” width=”600″ height=”1000″]
Other cases have been detected in Aroostook (2), Franklin (10), Hancock (6), Kennebec (95), Knox (12), Lincoln (12), Oxford (13), Sagadahoc (15), Somerset (15), Waldo (42) and Washington (2) counties. Information about where another case was detected was not immediately available Friday morning.
The only county without a confirmed case is Piscataquis.
As of Friday afternoon the coronavirus has sickened 683,786 people in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and the U.S. Virgin Islands, as well as caused 34,180 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University of Medicine.
Watch: Common myths about COVID-19