Jack Allard (21) is shown playing on the Bates College men's lacrosse team during his time at the Lewiston school. The two-time All-America honorable mention is exhibiting improvement after spending nearly a month on a ventilator in a medically induced coma. Credit: Josh Kuckens | Bates College

Click here for the latest coronavirus news, which the BDN has made free for the public. You can support our critical reporting on the coronavirus by purchasing a digital subscription or donating directly to the newsroom.

The South Passaic Daily Voice in New Jersey is reporting that the condition of COVID-19 patient Jack Allard is improving after three weeks in the intensive care unit at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

Allard, a 26-year-old graduate of Bates College in Lewiston who lives in Metuchen, New Jersey, has been able to be removed from a ventilator some of the time and has been able to take sips of water, according to the report.

[Our COVID-19 tracker contains the most recent information on Maine cases by county]

Allard is a 2016 graduate of Bates, where he was a two-time All-America honorable mention for coach Peter Lasagna. He became ill on March 13 and was hospitalized three days later.

Allard, whose complications began at JFK Hospital in Edison, New Jersey, was flown to Philadelphia on March 24 for treatment and has remained there since.

[image id=”2964756″ size=”full” pos=”center” /]

Allard’s uncle, Nick Allard, on Tuesday had a guest column published in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle laying out his frustrations about Jack’s ordeal. However, Jack Allard already was feeling better by that time.

John Reynolds of Rutherford, New Jersey, is a friend of the family and provided some positive news in a post on his Facebook page.

“Jack is off the ventilator for much of the day (he was off for at least 9 hours the past few days), he has begun speech therapy,” Reynolds said.

“He should be fully off the ventilator some time this week and hopefully shortly after will return home to NJ to continue his physical therapy.”

Genny Allard, Jack’s mother, had reported that he was in excellent health and did not have any known medical conditions that might have made him more susceptible to COVID-19 contributions.

Jack Allard’s situation had been complicated by the fact his initial COVID-19 test reportedly had been misplaced by a laboratory, which meant that days passed before it became known that he needed to provide another sample.

Reynolds said those close to the Allards remain cautiously optimistic about his prospects for a full recovery.

“This story may yet end well,” he said.

Watch: Janet Mills speaks to people who think they’re not at risk

[bdnvideo id=”2961357″]

Pete Warner

Pete graduated from Bangor High School in 1980 and earned a B.S. in Journalism (Advertising) from the University of Maine in 1986. He grew up fishing at his family's camp on Sebago Lake but didn't take...