June 01, 2020
Bangor Latest News | Coronavirus | Bangor Metro | 'Porch Prom' | Today's Paper

March 14 evening update: Latest on the coronavirus and Maine

Robert F. Bukaty | AP
Robert F. Bukaty | AP
A sign directs patients with respiratory symptoms to a tent at the Central Maine Medical Center, Friday, March 13, 2020, in Lewiston, Maine. The hospital is using the tent to make preliminary test for patients with coronavirus symptoms.

As of 5:30 p.m. Saturday, March 14, three Maine residents have tested presumptive positive for the coronavirus, according to the state.

Here’s a roundup of today’s COVID-19 news in Maine and New England, as of 7 p.m. To read all of our coverage, click here.

Another Mainer has a presumptive positive test for the new coronavirus, state health officials said on Saturday.

— The state’s third presumptive positive case appeared in a woman in her 40s from Cumberland County. She had close household contact with another person with a presumptive positive test for the virus, the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention said.

— Two test results from a private lab also came back positive today, but have not been confirmed by the CDC. Those so-called “preliminary presumptive positive” cases came from a lab affiliated with MaineHealth. There are now three such cases in Maine.

John Bapst Memorial High School was the first Bangor area school to close after two Mainers tested positive for the coronavirus earlier in the week. All on-campus classes are suspended and the building will be closed until April 27.

— Shortly afterward, the Bangor School Department announced it will close for two weeks beginning Monday.

— As more school cancellations come in, we’ll be gathering them here. You can also find the latest information regarding business closures, religious service cancellations, sports suspensions and event postponements.

— Internet, wireless, cable, water and other companies say they are suspending shutoffs for nonpayment during the coronavirus outbreak, with some adding extra services to help Mainers get by.

— Central Maine Healthcare officials said Saturday that the three-hospital system is postponing some elective surgeries and limiting access to buildings starting on March 16.

— An elementary school student in Rhode Island tested positive for the coronavirus after getting an autograph from Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert.

President Donald Trump said Saturday that he was tested for the coronavirus as the White House stepped up precautions after his direct and indirect exposures to COVID-19.

— He also announced Saturday that the United States will broaden its European travel ban, adding the United Kingdom and Ireland to its list.

— Spain locked down its 46 million citizens Saturday and France ordered the closing of the Eiffel Tower as governments took increasingly desperate measures to put more space between people and contain the coronavirus.

— The BDN has been compiling questions about the coronavirus submitted by our readers. You can find the answers to those questions here.

— The Maine CDC set up a coronavirus hotline. The hotline is available by calling 211 or 1-866-811-5695. It can also be reached by texting your zipcode to 898-211 or emailing info@211maine.org.

— Throughout the rest of New England, Massachusetts has 138 confirmed cases, Rhode Island has 20, Connecticut has 11, New Hampshire has seven, and Vermont has four.

— Nationwide, there are 2,443 cases and 50 deaths from the coronavirus as of Thursday evening, according to The New York Times.

This map shows the latest number of positive test results for the coronavirus, by state.

 


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like